Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking Advice: best way to get my foot in the door at Atlassian?

Faraz Moin November 19, 2023

Hi everyone, I posted this question in the Jobs & Careers community and it's not getting a huge amount of traction so I thought I'd try posting here as well.

Background: I have recently returned to Sydney after living in London for the last 15 years where I had been working in project/programme management within banking/FS. I've decided to take a bit of a step change in my career and move into a fast moving and fast growing Tech firm and of course Atlassian is on top of the list (along with the FAANG companies).

Current Status: I had applied for a Head of TPMO role in October and had followed the instructions outlined here: https://www.atlassian.com/company/careers/resources/applying/five-tips-for-an-atlassian-application. My application was within 24 hours of the job posting and I had also direct messaged Avani Solanki on LinkedIn to raise my profile and increase my chances of having my CV reviewed. Having done all of that, I haven't yet heard back so my goal now is to focus on any future opportunities at Atlassian as Head of PMO/Delivery/Transformation.

Questions & Advice:

1. What is the best way to apply for any future roles and how do I maximise my chances of having my CV reviewed?
  2. What is the best way to build a network with current Atlassian employees?
  3. What general advice/guidance can you offer to someone who is looking to get their foot in the door at Atlassian?

Thanks,

Faraz

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

2 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2023

Hi, @Faraz Moin. It sound like you used the right approach the first time around but as I am sure you can imagine Atlassian is a target company for many people like you.

I have a few thoughts:

1. Remember, Atlassian has a remote-friendly hiring policy. So, being based in Sydney isn't necessarily an advantage. Atlassian hires the best candidate for the role, regardless of their location.
  2. I suggest becoming more active and helpful to other project/program managers here on the community by looking for questions where you can add value and advice. Eventually, this may get you noticed by the Atlassian folks here.
  3. Join the Sydney ACE and attend their meetings.
  4. Watch for Atlassian events in your area and online.
  5. Consider working for an Atlassian Solution Partner. You may end up loving that work and/or might be able to use it as a stepping stone to a career with Atlassian.

Best of luck to you,

-dave

Faraz Moin November 20, 2023

Thanks @Dave Rosenlund for the detailed and thoughtful response.

I've joined the Sydney ACE community and have registered for the Agile & DevOps event in January. Gutted I've missed out on the Open Roads, Open Roles event last month!

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events