Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embrace a strategic mindset for effective program execution

In any program, there is a combination of strategic, tactical, and operational activities. PgMs have the challenging task of operating on multiple fronts within a program or an organization. They are constantly navigating strategic, tactical, and operational aspects of the program all at once. While each of these activities holds importance, they also consume a considerable amount of time. Therefore, how does one effectively prioritize them? Moreover, as one progresses into a more senior role, there is an expectation to develop a comprehensive view of the program and strike a balance between different forms of execution. This article discusses how we can scale ourselves and formulate a more efficient and adaptable program execution plan by embracing a strategic mindset.

But first, let's build a common understanding of differences and relationships between these types of program activities. Please note that the activities shown in the image below are not exhaustive but rather exemplary.

StrategicvsTactical_Operational.png

Once you have a clear understanding of each type of activity, you can make informed decisions about how to plan your bandwidth. Here are some tips on how I attempt to scale myself and prioritize my time, aiming to shift my focus towards strategic execution.

• Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 1.00.31 PM.pngStrategic partnership - Program managers are strategic partners to engineering, product and other cross-functional crafts. Establish clear roles and responsibilities with your peers to split responsibilities for critical tasks, e.g. set expectations with your engineering partner to run the scrum delivery rituals, rotate the facilitation for recurring meetings. Use Atlassian's Roles and Responsibilities Playbook.
  • Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 1.03.01 PM.pngEverything everywhere all at once - It's relatively easy to fall into the trap of not prioritizing and attempting to do everything at once, stretching yourself thin. Overcommitting to multiple activities can compromise your capacity to make substantial and in-depth contributions to each program.

• Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 1.03.09 PM.pngBe comfortable saying "no" - There is no end to incoming requests for a PgM. By carefully evaluating the value and alignment of incoming requests with your strategic priorities, you can make informed decisions about which opportunities to pursue and which to decline. Pass the "right" balls to your strategic partners.:wink:

• Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 1.03.13 PM.pngSelf-Serve first - Leverage async tools such as Jira and Confluence to create, execute and monitor different aspects of your program. The program hub Create a hub then head to the pub serves as an excellent platform for creating and maintaining essential artifacts in a centralized manner. This approach simplifies the management of program scope, schedule, risk, and dependencies while enabling self-service, reducing the likelihood of becoming a bottleneck for each interaction or communication.

• Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 1.03.19 PM.pngLeverage Tech - Automate workflows and harness AI tools to minimize manual and repetitive work, e.g. Atlassian AI offers a variety of features that can be utilized in reporting and knowledge management workflows. Additionally, program managers can leverage diverse Automation rules to streamline Jira workflows.

Last but not least, as a continuous personal improvement, I take time at the end of each week to reflect on my weekly activities. This practice aims to gain a better understanding and develop a plan for staying more strategic and making improvements in the upcoming week.

If you have any tips or secret strategies for cultivating a strategic mindset as program managers, we'd love to hear about your experiences in the comments below!

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events