Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a hub then head to the pub

Penny Lew
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2024

Whenever I’m starting a new program or inheriting an existing one, one of the first artefacts I look for is a program hub. A program hub is a central place that houses key artefacts that stakeholders (the direct working teams, partner teams, program sponsor, etc.) can find key info about the program to dive deep on areas of interest (program strategy, roadmap, metrics, delivery plan, etc.).

I use Confluence to create the hub where the spokes of the hub are links to other Confluence pages, JSW projects, Atlas goals and projects, and more.

Let’s dive into an example program hub!

ABC Program Hub

Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 9.21.06 PM.png

What Details  Recommended Atlassian product and template 

Blue info box

Quick blurb on the program, inclusive of workstreams and milestones. Link to your program charter which could be a succinct Confluence page on the program intent, metrics, scope, key dates, risks, and more. (The program charter id’s and defines the program, essentially serving as the golden ticket to start the program.)

Confluence

• While a project poster template is not a program charter, it's a good template to build off of to create a charter page in Confluence.

Strategy

High-level plan and goals that the program will help realize

Confluence

Metrics

The OKRs the program contributes to and any dashboards tracking metrics that help inform scoring of the OKRs and the success of the program

Confluence (basic use cases)

Atlas (advanced use cases)

Product roadmap

Evolution of the product broken out by monthly/quarterly/yearly increments of time

Confluence (basic uses cases)

JPD (advanced use cases)

Program plan

How the program will be executed to deliver the program in a set time against specific milestones

Confluence

Reporting

Status tracking of projects within a program

Atlas

Check out Communicate effectively with a little help from Atlas - the Atlas update composer for great pointers on using Atlas for project/program communication.

Resourcing

The open and filled positions needed for the program

Confluence

• Depending on your program's size, it may be optimal to capture resourcing in a tool like GSheet. But if your program is relatively small, you could potentially capture resourcing in a Confluence page such as in a Team homepage template

Registers

It’s a triple whammy here! Successful tracking and closing out of dependencies, risks, and decisions are instrumental to a program’s trajectory. I shared an earlier post on the different flavours of a register at Oh, my most favourite decision and risk register flavours!

Confluence (basic uses cases)

JSW (advanced uses cases)

Contact Us

It can take a village to ship a program! Make sure to have a contacts page listing teams working on the program and how they can be reached.

Confluence 

Keep it tight to make it right

Your hub is essentially a map to help folks self-navigate to key program artefacts so they can quickly onboard, stay aligned on goals, make upward progress, and know who to reach out to. Avoid throwing the kitchen sink into your hub by keeping it light and tight! Some pointers:

• Start the hub ASAP. All the info in your hub may not be readily available or even more so, in a very drafty draft state. That’s ok! Call out sections in your hub that are a work in progress and share a target date when they’ll be ready for consumption.
  • Stick to key info. As mentioned, your hub is a map. Don’t distract stakeholders and yourself with detours by listing tangential info. Treat your hub like a product and stick to an MVP.

• Pithy for the win! Short headings and brief descriptions makes for easy scanning. White space is your BFF in a hub.

• Visuals and up to date links. Make your hub engaging with images and direct links to specific info that is up to date. This is table stakes but worth emphasizing as these two elements are what helps capture your stakeholders attention, helps them remember your hub, and gets them to keep coming back.

Wrap up

A program hub is a great way to flaunt your program management skills in connecting the dots and providing clarity on a program. From new team members joining your program needing onboarding to seasoned stakeholders wanting to dive deep into the latest metrics and status on your program, they’ll be able to self-serve through your program hub. (And at the very least, you’ll be able to quickly walk them through what they need as you’ll have all the info centralized in your hub). So, pat yourself on the back for getting your program organized! With your hub set up it’s time to head to the pub! :beers: 

2 comments

Comment

Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2024

Great tips, @Penny Lew !  Cheers!  🍻

Like Penny Lew likes this
Penny Lew
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2024

Thanks, @Laurie Sciutti ! Have you set something up similar in Confluence or another tool? Would love to hear your experience!

Like Laurie Sciutti likes this
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2024

Hi @Penny Lew ~ I have actually, as a blueprint for all new product spaces I create for my company.  While most of our users tend to follow the approach, we do have some that significantly deviate from the recommended approach and end up with something that looks more like a document dumping ground than a helpful wiki.  I like seeing other blueprints (like yours) as it gives me ideas for refining my own.

Like Penny Lew likes this
Penny Lew
Atlassian Team
March 5, 2024

@Laurie Sciutti , I hear you on the deviations from a blueprint/template given the amount of flexibility user generated content tools can have. On one side, you're trying to provide a standard for folks to follow and then on the other side, it can be easy for folks to get carried away with adding info to the hub thinking all info on the program is equally important!

Ideally, info on the program can be grouped into themes or categories from the start so that the hub can be structured around them. And then from those themes/categories, the most important key info is id'd and linked from the hub.

It might be that some groups/categories start to emerge after a bunch of links get added to the hub. (An example is maybe you started with one metrics dashboard but as your program evolved, other metrics dashboards were id'd. Instead of listing all the dashboards in the hub, create a parent page or parent dash for all the dashboards and have that parent link in the hub vs. the individual dashboard links).  Sometimes, you have to work backwards in an ideal flow.

Are there particulars about other blueprints you've seen that have been useful for you and your teams?

Like Laurie Sciutti likes this
Rick Breumelhof
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 5, 2024

I've implemented a similar hub for my programs but love the clean layout you've designed!

Like # people like this
Penny Lew
Atlassian Team
March 5, 2024

Thanks, @Rick Breumelhof Making good use of white space in a hub is key along with simple imagery. They're my BFFs when creating a hub. :) 

Like Rick Breumelhof likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events