No chat at Team 2021?

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2021

So it's a little late now, and I know we're all hoping to be seeing each other in person next year, but I can't help but think that there were some hugely missed opportunities in "virtual space" for conferences like Team 2021.

While it makes sense that sessions are pre-recorded and playback is on-demand so that nobody has to deal with livestreaming mishaps. And so trying to conduct "live Q&As" for those might take a ton of work, setting up schedules with speakers, etc etc.

That being said, I'm not even talking about video conferences, but a chat platform like Slack. (I guess this has been done before, even during a regular conference)

What I was thinking was that for things like a virtual Expo, it seems like Vendors, Partners, and of course Attendees might love a chance to "chat" about product, share links, contact info, in the context of dedicated channels (#bobswift, #coyotecreek, etc.)

It wouldn't have to be staffed 24/7 - you could have Expo hours, just like during a real conference.

I know we all love seeing each other in person, but I've been thinking about this a lot ever since the pandemic started. I guess the Bevy folks (which provided the backend for Team 2021) are working on "virtual chat" features like this, that can tie into specific workshops, whatever.

But honestly, it seems like it coulda just been done with a one-off Slack.

(OH! And thinking about real-time commenting/chatting during recorded sessions.... Facebook has this nailed! You can watch a recording of a live session, and it replays the comments in real time. But better still, you can add your own comments, which will then become part of the timeline.)

Ah... possibilities. No, I am not buying an Oculus for this. :-}

3 answers

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2021

I had the same idea for this year's experience, and it still sounds good to me! I'm happy that there is at least one other person who thinks in the same direction :) Especially when it comes to just "chat" and not being stuck in meetings or zoom rooms. 

As Daniel said, there is nothing better than in-person, but sometimes even a "simulation" is better than nothing. People miss the friendly small talks, and the non-business conversations and such platform may fill the gap while we are still remote-conferencing. 

1 vote
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2021

I see what you mean. This year, from my point of view, a much better platform was used - without any issues for stability and/or usability. Maybe the new one does not offer a chat module or maybe the chat was not really used by the attendees last year so it was decided to not offer it, I could imagine...

It would be a plus for some kind of exchange but there are still good options to reach a partner/vendor and Slack is also in place for more Community-related chats.

Overall this kind of interaction actually is something I feel works best on an in person event :/

0 votes
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2021

Hrm, sounds like the built-in chat last year was not so good:

Summit Chat - it's a bit socially distant 

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2021

It had its issues and maybe it was easier to just not do it then improve it. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events