Working Remotely – A Week Four Retrospective

Last week was a much more predictable (I refuse to use the word “normal”) work week.  The week concluded with a bit of a break for Easter weekend (I’ll talk more about that at the end).  Last week’s post is here for anyone that needs context of what I’m talking about.

Here’s the weekly rundown:

What went well:

• I didn’t feel like I was completely run ragged this past week. Since I was “out” attending the Atlassian Remote Summit the week before, I did have several meetings with people to get caught up on things.
  • I got back into the good routine of walking the dog first thing in the morning before starting work.
  • I had time to work on some passion projects which really helped my morale for the week.

What didn’t go so well:

• As much as I was able to get out and walk the dog, additional restrictions closed all the off-leash parks in my area and my husky really likes to be able to run free.
  • The longer the self isolation continues the number of local restaurants that are keeping their doors open keeps shrinking. I feel terrible that a number of these businesses just can’t manage to, or no longer feel comfortable keeping their doors open.  There is now only one local restaurant that meets our dietary restrictions that is still open.
  • I’ve been extremely busy with side projects, that I haven’t been very good about getting a proper workout in.

What did I change:

• I’ve still neglected getting a proper workout in, so I will be changing the time at which I try to accomplish this.
  • My wife and I made this change last week, but it worked well, we swapped our shifts for watching our son/dedicated focus time. We both discovered that swapping time slots would work better given our work commitments and when fellow employees are also working.

What will remain the same:

• I’ve started taking the dog out around our neighborhood and each day we go a different direction for about an hour it’s been fun exploring on foot.
  • We will continue to support the last remaining restaurant for as long as they remain open.

It’s been an interesting week.  Easter was strange as we had to use video chat tools to connect with family instead of seeing people in person.  I know that we are all doing the right thing to stay safe and healthy and there will be an end to this at some point we all just have to stay strong, positive and busy!  It’s hard to believe it’s been a month!

Until next time!

2 comments

Comment

Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2020

Thank you for sharing @Jimmy Seddon 

Restaurants will start opening up in Texas next week.  I am curious to see how quickly traffic will pick up.  I personally plan on social distancing for an extended period.  

Our dog goes crazy every time he sees other dogs.  He used to get walked with other dogs daily and had a ton of other dog interaction, but that has been extremely limited over the last month.

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2020

I completely agree @Tim Keyes.  I'm also in the same boat, we have a huskey who is used to running off leash with some friends and neither of those are options now.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events