International Women's Day - Women Who Inspire Me

So the theme for March on the Atlassian Community is International Women’s Day, which is amazing and as @Kat Warner has pointed out in her article ‘Women who have inspired me’, International Men’s Day is on 19 November and I already have a few ideas about who I want to mention in that as well!

I hate to be a cliche, but my Mother is my hero in all things! She’s fearless and kind and loyal, I know I’m biased and I’m ok with that! She raised me as a single parent and has put up with me for close to 40 years! She’s my rock, she’s amazing, she’s always been wonderful, even when I wasn’t so wonderful to her. We live next door to each other, and for the last few years, she’s been caring for my 90-year-old Grandfather. We try to have dinner together a few times a week, have mother-daughter trips out whenever we can, and we share a bottle of wine (or three) while sitting at the kitchen table putting the world to rights until the small hours of the morning. She inspires me to be a better granddaughter, better daughter and better Mother to my fur-babies.

Claire Tolmay is my academic hero! She lives in South Africa and I live in the UK, we’ve never met but we message almost every day, not to mention tagging each other daily in random memes on Facebook and I would consider her a very close friend. I ‘met’ Claire when we were both studying MSc Psychology at Roehampton a few years ago, I was just starting and she was in the final few months, and she was super supportive and friendly. She’s got two undergrad degrees (physiology and microbiology) and three postgrad degrees (pediatric nutrition, physiology, psychology) and now she’s moved onto yet another qualification in Data Science, the woman is an academic machine! She amazes me every day, she has academic super-powers that I am utterly in awe of, and she’s a wonderful person that I am pleased to say I am friends with her. She inspires me to be a better student, a better academic and a better long-distance friend. 

Dreamer is my best friend and she’s amazing in every way! She’s a master baker, as you can see on her Facebook page, she makes the most amazing and inspired cakes, and is totally the reason for my ever-expanding waistline (but not really!). I’ve known her for longer than I care to admit (neither of us will admit it!) and we try to see each other once a week, we don’t always manage it, but we try! She works, she bakes, she has two wonderful children and an amazing husband, I don’t know how she does it! She’s so strong and steady and she inspires me to be a great friend and Aunty.  

1 comment

Comment

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 7, 2020

There is a saying about being a person is the average of their 5 closest people. With this in mind, it is not surprising you know so many amazing people. :)

Like Esme Crutchley likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events