Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How I'm embracing remote work

In these random days of change and having to adapt to those changes at a moments notice, @Monique vdB has created a #badge-challenge focused on remote work which can be found here.

I’ll be honest, I’ve always wanted to work remotely. I’ve always wanted to be able to stay home all day with my husband and the girls and work from home. Not miss anything cute that happens, any adorable snores or soft barking in their sleep, any running in their sleep while they’re snuggled up on the sofa with Daddy. 

Corona Working From Home GIF by MOODMAN

I subscribe to Les Mills on Demand, and have emptied out the back bedroom to make a gym, so I want to be able to work at home before I go to work, without having to get up at 5am.  I wanted to work at home so that I can eat right, with all my allergies and intolerances I have to be so careful at work, but if I worked from home I would be able to eat properly. I would be to make sure that my family ate properly as well, I would be able to make sure that I was as active as I want to be, getting up and moving around when I want.

The problem is, I can’t really do anything from home. I’m not qualified in anything that would mean I could work from home! I have BA English Literature and Philosophy, PG Dip English Literature, Culture & Modernity and I’m waiting for my certificate to arrive for MSc Psychology with graduate membership of the British Psychological Society. None of which really gives me anything that I can use to work from home!

I have my passion for all things Trello, and my love of the platform and the ins and outs of how it works, but again, no training in the back-end, nothing that would mean that I could work from home. In my other life, I work in a university library, not really a lot there that I can do from home! But that’s what I’m doing. I am passionate about all things Google; Docs, Sheets, Slides & Sites, I run both of my websites on Google Sites although I haven’t put much into them recently. But I don’t have any qualifications in either of them to be able to work from home or help people from here.

I set up my Tiny Tech Tips website to help people use free technology and use paid for tech when it was useful, but then I found the Atlassian Community and all my focus outside work is going there. I had all these plans to make a side-hustle and a YouTube channel, but I’m having far more fun in the Community! There’s nothing quite like gushing over Trello and sharing things I do and have learned about it with other people who share the Trellove. The Community is amazing and spending my off-days here, is amazing! 

Under the Government rules, because I live with someone with COPD, I can’t be at work. There are only about 3 things that I can do from home, it’s not like I can shelve books when I’m 3.5 miles away from campus #long-distance-shelving! I’m waiting for work to tell me what they want me to do and when, as I only work part-time I can’t do anything but wait at the moment. I work on a 3 on 3 off rota, so I’m due to be off, and I’m planning on sitting at my desk and working on as much of my planned Trello articles as possible for the next 3 days, which is actually exactly what I would be doing normally anyway! 

So, how am I #embracing-remote?

At this moment in time, I have no idea what I’m doing working from home on my 3 days at ‘work’ so I’m just preparing myself for anything work might ask me to do, but my 3 days off should look pretty similar to what they’ve looked like for months #atlassian-community-life!

Remember everyone, you need to keep yourself well, not just physically well, but also mentally well. Reach out to people, technology is a wonderful thing for being able to keep in touch, don't be alone!

Mental Health Love GIF by Mat Voyce

3 comments

Comment

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2020

I am well jealous of you right now Esme! I am completely the opposite with this current situation!
I really needed that rainbow GIF in my life.
Thank you! 🌈🙏💙

Like Esme Crutchley likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2020

@Esme Crutchley I think your last line is one of the most important points in this article.  Technology has made it so that we aren't ever alone.  Even though we may not be able to interact face to face, sometimes a voice/video chat can help change your mood.

I ended up playing some games with a bunch of friends last night while chatting over discord, and for a couple of hours I actually forgot about everything else that was going on, because we were having so much fun joking around and just doing what we would normally do on any other Wednesday night.

Like # people like this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2020
Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events