Accessibility Issues - Jira Service Desk

Byron Brathwaite June 1, 2020

Hi,

I am the IT Manager for Enterprise Applications Development and Support at the Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB).  I am looking to replace our in-house service desk application with an accessible ITIL based application.  The issue we are facing is that the applications we reviewed to date all have varying degrees of issues with accessibility.

One of our accessibility testers (who is blind) told me he tried the Jira demo and found that it was closer to being accessible than most of the other applications we reviewed up to that point.  I signed up for a free trial of Jira Service Desk and Confluence in January 2020 and I converted to the Free plan once the trial was over.  The JSD functionality was harder to figure out than other applications I have tested but I have spent the last few months learning the functionality and have been able to make it work fairly well for our needs from a functionality standpoint.

So now that JSD has passed my functionality assessment, there are some accessibility issues that we would like to have addressed or have assurances from Atlassian that they will be addressed in the near future before we can sign up to start using JSD.  Will Atlassian be willing to meet with our Accessibility team to discuss the issues we have found and try to address them? My team believes these issues can be resolved fairly easily and we would love to help Atlassian make Jira Service Desk fully accessible for users with vision loss.

1 comment

Comment

Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2020

@Byron Brathwaite ,

What an inspiring story of how Atlassian helps with Accessibility functionality!

Since this forum is community driven, this form of contact carries no official capacity to respond on behalf of Atlassian as a company. I am going to flag your post to some internal folks over at Atlassian, and see if we can get you in contact with someone who can answer in a more official capacity. :)

Like Pedro likes this
Byron Brathwaite June 2, 2020

Thank you @Jeff Tillett

I am not sure how to contact anyone at Atlassian to start a discussion about accessibility.  To clarify, we are not using Jira at this time - the current accessibility issues will not allow our blind staff members to use it.  So we need to know if Atlassian is willing to work with us to fix, at minimum, the most significant issues or let us know if there are workarounds that we can use.

Like # people like this
Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2020

No problem. I got confirmation from 2 people at Atlassian that they are now working on a plan to reach out to you and see how they can be of assistance. 

Like Pedro likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events