Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to leverage JIRA for ROI Data Collection

Kira June 12, 2023

I've been with my team for about 2yrs now and I'm noticing that the epics aren't sufficient for easily identifying where we are focusing our development efforts on our products. Especially as I calculate ROI for different feature development, or trying to identify where we spent time improving the user experience. I want to get more granular, but either I'm not using epics efficiently, or I need to leverage another tagging tool in JIRA to pull that kind of data. I'd love some thoughts!

1 comment

Comment

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2023

Hello, @Kira. I am afraid you are right. Jira Work Management, and the other flavors of Jira, don't really have a good, built-in, way to try to measure ROI. You'll probably need an add-on or maybe event two to be able to do that sort of thing, and do it well.

As you probably already know, the Atlassian Marketplace is where you want to look.

Here's an example search. Note that I am assuming Cloud because you placed this question in "New to Jira Work Management" product group, and it is only available on cloud. But even if you're not using Jira Work Management, everything I'm saying here is still true. You'd just want to tweak the search criteria accordingly.

URL: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/addons/app/jira/top-selling?hosting=cloud&moreFilters=cloudFortified&moreFilters=vendorSupported

Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 12.17.02 PM.png

A couple of notes:

• ROI may not be the best search term. There are some unexpected, to me anyways, results.
  • I mentioned one or two add-ons above because, in addition to better work/time tracking/management tools to help you get at $s spent you should probably take a "cost tracking" apps that can help you account for other expenditures.
  • I chose "Cloud Fortified" because that's the badge that indicates the app vendor is following Atlassian security and scalability guidelines.
  • I chose "Partner Supported" because some apps are "self supported."  I.e., in app help screens and doc only -- no one to talk to.
  • I chose "Top Selling" because that's a good indicator of the most popular apps, which is usually a good indicator of "tried and true."
  • My screen scrape only show the first 6 results there are many more
  • Full disclosure: My employer's products show up in these results but my intent was/is to help find and see all of the choices you may want to consider
  • Finally:  You may wish to accelerate things by working with an Atlassian Solution Partner. They can help you find the right/best app for your uses cases (bc they've done it a thousand times before with ppl just like you).

I hope this is helpful.  Let us know if it's not what you were looking for.

-dave

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events