Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you using Atlassian Confluence for project management? What is you most notable use case.

Richmond Izard_ PMP_ CFPM_ CPRP April 22, 2024

Hello Neighbors,

I am a long-term IT and project manager. However, I recently started using Confluence for managing project plans, documents, etc. Are any of you using Confluence primarily for project management?

What would you like to gain from this forum, our local Milwaukee user group?

Go Bucks!

Richmond

3 answers

Suggest an answer

2 votes
Dave Covarrubias April 23, 2024

Hello @Richmond Izard_ PMP_ CFPM_ CPRP ! At a large client I’m working with, we use it for a number of use cases:

• Wiki / Knowledge base to back a number of JSM support desks
  • Project documentation and use case tracking
  • I use it to create what I call a personal hub to organize links to other Confluence spaces, vendor product links, helpful articles, all categorized by the particular product or project that I’m working on.
  • As a file manager (not the ideal use of Confluence but it works in a pinch)
  • I’ve built microsite style spaces and pages to promote products and services and to publish enablement content to our large user base for a variety of SaaS services.
  • One of our customers is using it to connect Confluence to ServiceNow via a custom “hook” since they prefer the Confluence experience over the SN experience for maintaining their help content.
  • Meeting agendas/notes
  • Have started to play a little with the AI piece to auto-summarize meeting transcriptions
  • We use it also as an opportunity tracker when wanting to manage customer requests for our services. 

Hope that helps!

Richmond Izard_ PMP_ CFPM_ CPRP April 23, 2024

Cool @Dave Covarrubias

It sounds like you have taken a deep dive into Confluence.

Regarding your AI integration pieces, are you exploring internal Atlassian AI features or using API calls to access external sources such as OpenAI (i.e., ChatGPT)?

-Richmond

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2024

I think this would be a really great topic for a future event, @Dave Covarrubias - I wonder if we could find a time and get something planned!

Like # people like this
Zim _Andrew Zimmerman_ __Appfire__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2024

Awesome list, @Dave Covarrubias

Questions about using Confluence as a file manager:

1. What attachment size limit works for y'all?
  2. Are you on Confluence Cloud?
  3. Have you experienced any lagginess or slower page loads with larger attachments (like over 50MB)?

Thanks!
Andrew Zimmerman

1 vote
Dave Covarrubias April 24, 2024

@Amanda Barber Yes would be happy to chat more about a future topic/meetup around AI Intelligence. Looking forward to getting more info on this at Teams ‘24 next week! Anyone else attending in Vegas? Feel free to email me at covarrubias714@gmail.com and we can coordinate a time to meetup Amanda!

@Richmond Izard_ PMP_ CFPM_ CPRP  Regarding your file manager questions:

1. What attachment size limit works for y'all? For Data Center, our admin has put a 10mb file size limit to manage disk space since we have so many users. For cloud, I think there’s a default of 100mb file size.
  2. Are you on Confluence Cloud? Using both DC and Cloud.
  3. Have you experienced any lagginess or slower page loads with larger attachments (like over 50MB)? Tricky to respond here because I work mostly remote so  upload behavior is a very different experience from in-office behavior (which I very rarely experience since I’m not in-office too often). The other thing is that our policy for data center Confluence does not allow any media files - audio, video mainly. Graphic files are ok as long as they remain below the 25Mb threshold. We did have some users look at some file manager apps as add-ons to our Confluence data center spaces but I’d have to go back and look at notes if you want specifics. I have other thoughts about this having also worked with a variety of more pure play content management systems but these are my thoughts for now. 
Richmond Izard_ PMP_ CFPM_ CPRP April 25, 2024

Hi @Dave Covarrubias

I'm exclusively using Confluence Cloud, but haven't posed a file manager question. Thanks for your insights though.

Respectfully,

RIchmond

1 vote
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2024

@Andrew Zimmerman might have some thoughts on this, too.

I use Confluence for many aspects of managing projects - from our Feature Specs to more inclusive dashboards than Jira can provide. We also use it to share release notes internally and track when Knowledge Base documentation needs to be/has been updated. I'm sure there's a ton of other ways I'm using it for keeping up with projects that I haven't even thought of yet.

@Richmond Izard_ PMP_ CFPM_ CPRP - we'd love to see you at our Milwaukee events! Check out the page here: https://ace.atlassian.com/milwaukee/ 

Richmond Izard_ PMP_ CFPM_ CPRP April 23, 2024

Thanks, @Amanda Barber 

I look forward to exploring the local ACE Milwaukee events.

Like # people like this
Zim _Andrew Zimmerman_ __Appfire__
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2024

Hi @Richmond Izard_ PMP_ CFPM_ CPRP thanks for bringing up your question.

• Our PMO uses Confluence pretty extensively.
    • Documenting project teams
    • Capturing project meeting notes and decision logs
    • Storing project charters and other project artifacts and documents
    • Displaying quarterly objectives
  • Personally, I use Confluence primarily for the following:
    • Knowledge base for our internal enterprise JSM portal
    • Configuration documentation
    • Runbooks and method of procedure templates
    • Meeting notes

Looking forward to seeing you at some Milwaukee events too!

Cheers,
Andrew Zimmerman

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events