workflow for next-gen project

Alicia Y December 6, 2018

Is the workflow setting just for classical agile project? I want to add workflow or import workflow from market into my projects, how come there's no such "publish workflow" in my jira setting? And how can I make inactive workflow active? Why cannot I assign the workflow to my projects? Is it because I am using the trial version? Need experts help as soon as possible, thank you.

Capture.PNG

22 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
blim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2021

Hello all,

Thanks for commenting on this thread and expressing your interest for workflows in next-gen. Today, workflow transitions are in production: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-articles/Feature-Announcement-Jira-Software-Next-gen-Workflows/ba-p/1545178

We hope to deliver different workflows per issue type in the next couple of months.

We will be shipping multiple Done's statuses and the ability to map multiple statuses per column by the end of this month (Feb 2021).

We will follow up with:
1. Different workflow for epics
2. Ability to unmap statuses from the board
3. Different workflows per issue type 

Feel free to follow this ticket https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17434 for updates.

Best,
Bryan Lim
Product Manager

yasmeen banu June 21, 2021

I created a workflow for Team managed project and its in the inactive category as shown above. How do I use it for my project?

Like Eliad likes this
40 votes
Mark Ward February 5, 2020

giphy.gif?cid=790b761109d5df52ee9e6fc0421fdf527bf71248835df412&rid=giphy

Deleted user April 8, 2020

This about sums it up.

Like # people like this
16 votes
jillian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2019

Hi all, 

I'm a PM at Atlassian, and I'm excited to tell you that we're currently working on adding a new Edit Workflow feature to next-gen projects!  

We still have a bit of work to do, but you can watch this ticket to get updates on our progress. 

Please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly at jstein@atlassian.com with anything you're hoping to see in next-gen workflows. 

Cheers,

Jillian

Angie Ursic June 5, 2019

Hey @jillian

These are great news, would you be able to give us an update on the feature?

Also, is there a way to configure workflow triggers in next-gen project in the meantime?

Thanks in advance for your answer!

Best,

Angela

Like # people like this
Matt Leavitt August 5, 2019

@jillianThis is pretty core to your system, the ability to edit workflows.  Can you explain why it the issue was entered as a ticket on 11/20/2018, but 11 months later, it still isn't even on your Jira Roadmap?  What is taking you so long?  We absolutely require this feature before updating to the next-gen, and we very much would like to do so to gain access to the Roadmap features.  But you are holding us back by not prioritizing this essential feature (to many users).

UPDATE: The above-referenced ticket, JSWCLOUD-17434, was reassigned from Jillian Stein to Dmitry Melikov [ dmelikov@atlassian.com ] on 9/11/2019.  So the issue is clearly not forgotten, but it would be good to see some progress on this after almost a year of nothing for such a core, critical feature.

UPDATE (10/22/2019): Well, they have finally updated the Jira Roadmap to add the custom Workflow editor!  Just be aware that it is scheduled out for 2020 with numerous projects ahead of it.  And knowing how software development can go...well, I wouldn't count on the beginning of 2020 - maybe a year from now is more realistic?  I'm hopeful, but not holding my breath.

Like # people like this
Andrew Beak November 26, 2019

This next-gen stuff is nowhere near being ready. 

It's not as feature complete as much cheaper options offered by other companies.

It's the same with Confluence right now.

The question of missing features in Jira is actually best answered by saying "use something cheaper, that is ready for market".

Like # people like this
alexrmturner December 18, 2019

It wouldn't be so bad if the next-gen workflow was even remotely useful; but (sub)tasks go straight from Open to Done, which is kinda mad.  The general Agile way of doing things, we do work on Tasks (which show up as sub-tasks) in Jira, and so time tracking and status really belong on tasks, not stories.  A story is considered Accepted/Done once all tasks are done and the work is accepted by the product owner.

It's shocking that in 2019, Jira STILL doesn't have a workflow that can model BASIC agile workflow that has been documented and well understood for almost two decades.

Like # people like this
Rafa December 23, 2019

Andrew said

It's not as feature complete as much cheaper options offered by other companies.

Any recommendations?

Like # people like this
Amit Gaikwad December 27, 2019

Hi  @jillian,

What are the tentative timelines to roll out this feature to cloud Jira. I'm not sure why it is not ready yet as it is a basic feature for any Jira project. now it is creating hurdles at my end now I have to migrate the tickets to classic project. 

Like # people like this
Andrew Sittermann September 3, 2020

Why not just rename "Next-gen" to "feature-reduced" feature reduced.jpg

Like # people like this
Ewa Śliwińska October 17, 2020

I'm a bit confused because of what you wrote (that you're working on EDIT workflow) - I don't need editing, I would just like to enable default workflow, but I understand (from the below Daniel Eads comment) that workflows are not available at all in next-gen projects. Is this understanding right?

jelmerjellema December 21, 2020

Simple question regarding the workflow editor: do I need to recreate the workflow for each project I start?

7 votes
Tom Harkness August 5, 2019

Hi,

Are there any updates for this at all? This is absolutely shocking that such a core component / function of the product is not available in what is meant to be the "next-gen" way of doing things. 

6 votes
senthilkumar6.n February 18, 2020

Too bad that we don't have customized workflow in next gen. Because of this reason we are moving back to classic

Christian Ernst February 18, 2020

Same with me. Created a next-gen project, issued some tasks, detected that the provided workflow is insufficient for software development, tried to assign an existing (modified) workflow/workflow scheme, found absolute no way of doing such, searched the internet, finally came across this entry.

Conclusion (at least for me):

• Delete the "next-gen" project,
  • get rid of all "new Jira experiences", and
  • get back to good old classic Jira.
Like # people like this
4 votes
Joey Triska July 2, 2020

Really disappointed this isn't available yet, especially since the roadmap tool is gated behind next-gen projects. I know y'all probably have your hands full, but this is a really important feature to us, and based on the comments here, for a lot of other people, and it would be amazing if this could happen sometime soon.

4 votes
Florian Kasper August 25, 2019

The next-gen projects are pretty useless if we don't have the ability to 1. reassign the type (it's all software project) and 2. it's impossible to change the workflow. Your workflow is heavy complicated - I guess that's the reason why Atlassian itself doesn't use their cloud-hosted version with a new-gen project. The standard workflow would be perfect for a business project! A software project should always contain the status QA-testing / review and blocked.  @jillian  please either enable this feature within a specific deadline or give us a tool to downgrade all new-gen projects to first-gen projects. Nobody got time to create first-gen boards again and move all stories over there. 

4 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
December 6, 2018

Hi Alicia,

Unfortunately workflow customization isn't available yet for Next-Gen projects. It is on the longer term roadmap though! You can take a look at the recently shipped and coming-soon features of Next-Gen projects here. The note about workflows is on a Community post by one of our product managers discussing features.

Workflows are made active by assigning them in a workflow scheme. In the screenshot, you're looking at all the workflows but the assignments are done in project settings. We've got documentation for this here, but in short the steps are:

1. Choose the Jira icon ( or ) > Projects.
  2. Select the project you want to associate your workflow scheme to.
  3. Go to your project and click Project settings
  4. Click Workflows. You'll see which workflow scheme the project currently uses.
  5. Click Switch Scheme and select the relevant workflow scheme from the Scheme list. 

6. Click Associate to begin the migration process. Each issue needs to have a valid status, so you may need to assign statuses to a select number of issues after you switch workflow schemes. 

And for clarity, just stating again that workflows will only be able to be assigned for Classic projects currently. Keep an eye on that roadmap for when it will be available in Next-Gen.

Cheers,
Daniel

Elizabeth February 20, 2019

Hey Daniel - is there an update for when workflow customization will be available for next-gen projects?

Could you link me to an article that describes how to revert a next-gen project to the "old" project type?

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
February 20, 2019

Hey @Elizabeth !

We've got an article describing how to convert between Classic and Next Gen projects (both directions) available here. The basic idea is that you create a project of the type you want to be using, then move all the issues to your new project.

As for updates on feature availability, all the information we have available to share is on the public roadmap. This page shows all the features that have shipped to next-gen projects already as well as what's coming up the soonest. You can get a good idea of release cadence by looking at the dates on the already-released features. While workflow customization is not explicitly listed at the moment of this post, our product teams definitely are working on it and will add it to the roadmap when it is nearing release.

Cheers,
Daniel

Thomas Belknap March 17, 2019

I see nothing in the roadmap that says anything about associating workflow schemes to next gen projects. Can we assume this will not be in the next gen projects, at all?

Like # people like this
3 votes
Rakesh Kande July 28, 2020

any update on this? we want to add some new status to workflow but I don't see an option to do.

2 votes
Jesse Geiger August 13, 2020

For those awaiting a never-going-to-happen feature for Jira Next-Gen projects, the ability to customize your workflow AND the ability to control transitions, I suggest the following.  Not super pretty, but definitely functional:

1- In your NextGen project, as others have suggested go to the BOARD section on the left and create all the workflow Statuses you desire (Blocked, Done, In Progress, QA, etc).  Drag/Drop them in order from left > right in that board view.  That will set the order they are displayed in the issue view, top to bottom.

2 - Go into the project's automation area (Project settings / Apps / Project Automation.  Create a new rule and ensure it is set as a Project Rule, not Global. This most likely has to be set afterwards, but just to bring it to your attention.

3 - Create the rule as shown in the attached pic: 
WHEN issue is transitioned from *current state* (pick one), and leave TO blank.
For CURRENT PROJECT (this makes it not Global)
Create a branch... IF {{fieldChange.toString}} DOES NOT EQUAL *State 2*
THEN Transition issue back to original state

This essentially forces transitions to follow a certain path using IF, THEN, ELSE logic.  If you go from Analysis to QA, it will fail and transition back to Analysis.  If you go from Analysis to Close, it could pass and stay there.

Create a new rule for each status, using standard logic to process (AND or OR conditions).

You can always throw an OR statement in there if you need to allow a transition to more than 1 other state.

This was a quick n dirty rule I made to get something working.  I'm sure many of you will tweak it out to adjust to your environment.

Automation.png

2 votes
Krista Delucchi May 8, 2020

I set up a ton of new projects as next-gen projects just now ahead of our jira migration to cloud so that we can utilize the new features of roadmap, but just realized I cannot assign a workflow. This is a problem and I can't change the project type to classic. This next-gen project type will only work for a few teams now because of this and they are teams I'm trying to get to stop using Jira because they constantly mess with our settings. Face palming really hard about the lost time I just threw at this.

2 votes
Mike_Illobre March 31, 2020

Is there any news on when the workflows for next gen projects will be implemented. Also is there a way to convert a next gen back to the classic projects?

Amit Gaikwad April 1, 2020

@Mike_Illobre : I don't think so there this feature will be released soon. Also there is no way to convert the next gen project back to classic one. 

But, there is workaround-

1. Create a classic project and set up a workflow in that project. 
2. Now, migrate all the tickets of the next-gen project to that classic project.
3. For migration of tickets use the bull edit option in Jira. If you google it you will get to know more about bulk edit feature.  

Hope this information will help you. Even I faced the same scenario and I was also pissed off. This feature is under development at the atlassian and it is been 2 years now. but there is no affirmative from Atlassian.

Mike_Illobre April 1, 2020

@Amit Gaikwad thank you very much for the update and the information. Hope your doing well during these times. 

Like Amit Gaikwad likes this
Amit Gaikwad April 2, 2020

Hey  @Mike_Illobre
I'm doing good I hope you are also taking care during this time. I'm glad the information is helpful to you. 

Krista Delucchi May 8, 2020

This works to get the issues over, but then you change all of the keys and numbers on the tickets which is a problem if you're integrated with other systems or referencing tickets all over other tools like my co. Thank goodness I realized this wouldn't work before I moved a ton of tickets to next-gen.

2 votes
Robby Ibrahim February 24, 2020

Hello from 2020.

Service Desk next-gen projects have Workflow and Automation settings but not Software next-gen projects. Odd. Real odd. Now, we have to add and pay for Agent licenses when we really didn't want to.

2 votes
Howard Davidson December 6, 2019

Oh come on!

2 votes
Nuwan Kanakarathna November 11, 2019

Still waiting to see workflow edit functionality on NG projects

0 votes
Arlene Zavala November 16, 2021

Hello!

So Next-Gen projects do not allow you to associate the project to an existing Workflow. What you have to do is go to the Project > Project Settings> Boards> Manage Workflows> Edit Workflow> 

This way you would need to add the Status first and Associate one another with the "Transition" option. 

The "Allow issues in any status to move to this one" is setup by default, what I did was create the Transitions manually. 

Hope this helps! draft.png

0 votes
Janice Warren February 17, 2021

It appears that statuses and workflows may be edited now, if I am interpreting this correctly: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/manage-how-work-flows-in-your-next-gen-project-1005805102.html. I plan to test now. I want to use next gen roadmaps, but workflow inflexibility was a huge barrier.

0 votes
Eugene Dementiev October 15, 2020

Well, this is underwhelming. I have just created a Next-Gen project only to see that I can't change the workflow.

Fun fact: after deleting this project, I can't use the proper project name and project key for a new classic project, because the deleted project will still hold them for like 60 more days.

Not happy.

vampyren October 19, 2020

Just noticed as well. Pretty bad user experience! 

Jira is getting to big for its own good.

Like Embrenchia Snyman likes this
0 votes
Ashwin Kumar H M February 25, 2020

We cannot use Classic because we need Roadmap in Next-Gen. But Next-Gen is not letting me edit the Workflow. Next-gen seem to be waste of time.

Can one of you please tell me if there is better way in which I can include a Duration field using which Due Date should get calculated. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQkLeGxoa0A&feature=youtu.be&t=319%C2%A0 suggests editing workflow. Is there any other way?

Embrenchia Snyman October 19, 2020

Classic has roadmap now. 

0 votes
Martin Schenk January 26, 2020

I remember when there was a workflow editor for next gen announced. Does anybody know, when it will be available? i promote digital workflows in my portfolio and cant wait to offer next gen to my clients.

0 votes
Ben_Chamberlain November 1, 2019

Adding that the workflow editor is really important. Just switched my project over to New Jira, and may have held off if I'd realized I couldn't edit my workflows. We have a way around it, but it's awkward, and doesn't do much for boosting the teams confidence in the change. Please don't de-prioritize this!

0 votes
Jay July 24, 2019

Really excited to see this but I see nothing in the nexgen roadmap

Suggest an answer