Why can't some users VOTE on an issue when others can?

JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2013

Under General Configurations, I have the option of "Allow users to vote on issues" turned ON, why can some users vote on an issue where others can not? I though initially it might be because of the permission scheme and/or what groups the users were in, but both users are not in the project's workgroups where one of them can vote, where the other can not.

9 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2013

Reporter cannot vote on an issue. Every one else should be able to vote, once logged in.

JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2013

User who could not vote, was not the issue reporter

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2013

Sounds like a bug but a screenshot might explain it better. Someone else might be able to help too.

JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2013

Thanks for trying to help. I am actually asking for a screen shot from the users saying they can't vote. They say they are not the reporter, but that should confirm it or not.

2 votes
Richard Slabach August 5, 2014

So the reporter on an issue can't vote for the issue. Why does that restriction exist and can it be changed?

Robert Wolf December 19, 2019

Because creating an issue the user in fact "votes" for it, so he don't need to make special vote.

0 votes
Brandon Wallace July 25, 2018

I have submitted a ticket about this. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17007.

0 votes
Felipe Carasso December 1, 2016

In fact, the reporter can be just someone entering an issue detected by someone else that may even not have access to the system. The reporter in this situation is just reporting, without expressing any preference. The reporter may not even agree with the issue, but is obliged to log it anyway.

Later, the reporter assumes a role of voter by choosing which of the issues logged he or she thinks more important.

This restriction to me is just extra code without any value to the user experience. 

0 votes
Taylor Giddens March 22, 2016

If you really insist on getting your vote in, simply switch the reporter, add your vote, and set the reporter back.  It is as other mentioned redundant though. 

0 votes
Richard Slabach August 6, 2014

It appears that a Feature Request has already been submitted and shot down - see JIRA-1651 and JIRA-8885. For anyone else interested in this issue who wants to get this 'feature' changed, add your comments to JIRA-8885.

0 votes
Richard Slabach August 6, 2014

Is there a way to change that behavior locally? A user may have reported multiple issues, but for this round of voting wants to vote for just 2 of them.

John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2014

I think the best suggestion would be to file a Feature Request.

0 votes
John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2014

We consider the initial report of an Issue to be an implicit vote; therefore, it would be redundant for a Reporter to vote up her own Issue.

0 votes
achoprac June 2, 2014

Thanks!! You are correct reporter can not vote.

Suggest an answer