What's the impact of assigning a status to an issue when associating a workflow to a project

David W November 6, 2019

In the instruction for associating a workflow scheme with a project it says, "Click Associate to begin the migration process. Each issue needs to have a valid status, so you may need to assign statuses to a select number of issues after you switch workflow schemes."

If an issues exists in multiple projects does changing the status already assigned to it change the available status values for that issue across all projects in which it occurs?  Or are the changes local to the workflow associated with a specific project?

For example

I am attempting to associate a new workflow, "Auto-regression workflow Oct 2019" to an existing project.  After clicking publish (I am assuming "publish" is the same as " Associate" in instruction snippet above) I am presented with this:

bugStatus.JPGIf I change the status of the Bug Issue from "In QA" to "In Progress" to be compatible with the "Auto-regression workflow Oct 2019" workflow, will this be a global change of the status effecting all instances of the Bug issue in all the projects it appears in, or will it just be local to the new workflow?

I have fallen foul of making what I thought was a local change but in fact it wasn't ( i.e., I change the name of a status)  - I don't want to do that again!

Thanks in advance

Dave

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2019

Hi @David W ,the small number right beneath the issuetype ("Bug" in your screenshot) shows the number of issues of this type in your project.

If this value is "0" you can ignore the change. The status will be changed from "In QA" to "In Progress" for 0 issues, so you don't have to set anything.

Only if the number is > 0, you have to set a new status.

The status will be changed in all the projects which are using the changed workflow. This can be a single project but if the workflow is shared between several projects, the status will be changed in all these projects. 

David W November 6, 2019

@Thomas Schlegel, thank you for the very speedy reply!

Can I clarify exactly what is going on. 

When presented with options like the one in the screen shot two things are going on:

• I am being asked to reset the status values on a specific instance of a bug with in the project (in this case there aren't any) so it is compatible with the new workflow.
  • I am changing the the status values associated with the bug issue type so that the status values that can be set for all future bugs will be compatible with the new workflow.  For example, if I make the change specified in the screen shot, when I set the status of a new bug I won't have the option to set it to "in QA", but I will be able to set it "In Progress".  Any changes to the status associated to an issue type are local, and specific to that workflow.   They will only be applicable to the projects that use it. 

Cheers

Dave

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2019

Yes, that's true, "In QA" is not available anymore, because it's not part of the workflow anymore.

The number "0" means, that there are no issues of this type currently impacted by the workflow change.

David W November 6, 2019

@Thomas Schlegel  Thank you very much for you help - I have been brave enough to press the "Associate" button!  No one has shouted, it looks like we are good. 

Cheers

Dave

1 vote
Leo
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2019

Hi @David W ,

1. If you edit the Existing Status name/category(e.g. In QA to "Some") that will reflect in whole server

2. If you remove one status and add another one or new status to the workflow and then publish it then this change will affect on all projects who are all sharing/using this workflow

3. If you copy/create new workflow and remove status from workflow, add new status to workflow --> associate it to particular project this change will affect only the project of associating current workflow

You can refer THIS atlassian documentation for more details

BR,

Leo 

David W November 6, 2019

Leo, I learnt no. 1 the hard way!   Thanks for you help  

0 votes
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2019

Hi,

A workflow belong to an issue type and it's associated by a project (via a worflow scheme). 

In other words, if you change a workflow of a worflow scheme that belong to a project "A" it will be reflecting only in the project "A" even if the issuetype bug exist in project B or C.

Let me know if i'm not clear.

Hope this helps.

David W November 6, 2019

Thanks Mohamed, what you say confirms my thinking. 

Suggest an answer