What is the sense of a component in a project?

Dunja July 30, 2020

Hello!
I'm currently started in a new organisation, where Jira is used for project management. As I haven't been working too intensely on the "how and why" in Jira, I wonder, why something, which I would understand as a separate project is now just a 'component' within an existing project.
Can anybody explain me the sense of a component in a project and the consequences/advantages/disadvantages of this?

Thanks a lot!

1 answer

0 votes
Subrat Mishra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2020

Hi @Dunja 

You can think "component" like a working/development module within your project .

Example: You have a project by name "XYZ"

Below could be  possible list of components .

1. Monitoring 

2. Frontend 

3. Notification 

4. Tools

5. Automation

6. Third_party

Or if it's tracking customer raised bugs , you may want to give the customers a range of options to select where exactly they see the issue .

Example: UI, Connectivity, Platform ... so on

Purpose:

You may want to track your Jira bugs/stories within a project more efficiently based on the components . In Jira, bugs can be automatically assigned to a pre-defined component owner based on the selected component . You can write queries/filters that can fetch you bugs only related to a specific module using components (helps the project admins, managers to track issues related to their module only)

There are no such disadvantages as such , but if your project is a simple one you may not need different components . All depends on your requirement .

Hope this helps .

Thanks,

Subrat

Dunja July 31, 2020

Hi Subrat!

Thanks a lot for your explanation.

In this case, I have a company working on one track which is set up like you suggested above. Besides this, there is a software migration project coming up. Something, I would intuitively set up as a new project, but it is for now set up as component within the 'regular workstream'.

Hence the question, where it might have advantages of this component-set up: what are the consequences? Is it probably reporting? Better visibility of the tasks for the single membert? etc?

Thanks once more in advance.

Dunja

Subrat Mishra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2020

If you are fine using the same workflow and issue-types for the new project you can keep it as a component or may be an issue-type as well ( you can even have a different workflow based on issue-type ) .

But if the workflow needs to be significantly different than your existing project , you should plan for a new project . 

Suggest an answer