Using Jira in Testing

liz January 15, 2021

Lets suppose we are testing and I encounter bugs, I want to be able to log a bug against the related Issue. I can see that I can log the bug independently and pick an Issue. What I want to be able to do is be in the Task that is the subject of the test and:

a) log a bug and automatically link to the open Issue
b) see all issues related to an issues - In Trello I did this using a checklist, which linked to another card and would be updated as done when the bug card was marked as complete
c) show number of fixed bugs/number of bugs on the card

I would expect that, because the task has bugs, it cannot be complete and therefore would remain in the testing column. Meanwhile the bugs start their fixing cycle (assuming they are to be fixed in this round). When the bugs have been fixed and tested successfully they will be marked as complete , so:

d) if I update the bug (and I can see on the Task all related bugs) is it shown as complete on the Task
e) if all the bugs relating to a Task are complete can it be auto-updated to complete? (assuming all sub-tasks are also complete.

Currently I a using Next gen which I would prefer to continue with, however... Is any of this possible or is there another way to achieve this in either Next gen or Classic.

Thank you

3 answers

1 vote
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2021

Hi @liz ,

This may not cover all the requirements in your use case, but you could use a classic Jira project, with tasks, where bugs are created as sub-tasks. Then you can add a condition to block transitions of the task or story if the sub-tasks aren't in a specific status (e.g. 'closed', 'done' or 'resolved'). In the corresponding workflow, you can select the transition that leads to the 'closed' status of the task, and add a 'sub-task blocking' condition. In this condition you specify the status of the sub-tasks that would allow the transition of the task to the aforementioned ('closed') status.

And this is how it looks in Jira:

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 10.53.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-15 at 10.54.48 PM.png

To automatically close a task when its sub-tasks are resolved, you can use some of the advice described here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-questions/How-can-I-transition-the-parent-when-all-subtasks-are-resolved/qaq-p/159407

Hope it helps,

liz January 15, 2021

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for the tips. I would do some of what I want (=expect). My problem now id whether I have enough time to learn classic Jira. Next-Gen is lightweight and so quicker to get going on. I am wondering if I can do what you suggest in that. so I will have a go.

One of the issues I have (already logged as a question here:  https://community.atlassian.com/t5/New-to-Jira-questions/Jira-Settings-Classic-amp-Next-Gen-applicable/qaq-p/1581632) is that I can't tell which features and specifically which settings apply to NG and which to C. so how much can I configure NG workflows and automation. Anyway I will have a go!

Jack Hunter [HeroCoders]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 19, 2021

Hi @liz,

As already mentioned, one of the possible ways to track defects and test cases is using a third-party checklist app for Jira.

Please take a look at the Issue Checklist Free, delivered by our company, which is the most popular checklist app in the Marketplace. 

It works well with both Classic and Next-Gen projects. 

In case of any questions or doubts, we are happy to assist.

Cheers,
Jack

0 votes
Alina Kachan_Railsware_ January 20, 2021

Hey @liz !

You may also want to check out our Smart Checklist for Jira add-on (can be used on both classic & next-gen projects) for:

For any questions, feel free to reach out!

Best,

Alina

0 votes
Payal _appbox.ai_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 18, 2021

Hi @liz

in order to track bugs as checklist, there are few third-party apps available that can help here. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 1.51.11 AM.png

you can also enable workflow conditions to block the issue resolution when checklist items are still pending, 

Checklist for Jira Cloud. Free that our company provides is one of them. You can see it live here. Playground 

In case of questions, we are happy to help. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events