Python Automation

david.holt@switchthink.com
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 16, 2023

I'm trying to find a way to have Jira kick off a python script. For example, someone creates an issue with fields needed that will be used as variables in a python script. That ticket, via a change in a field or some other way, will then reach out to a server hosting the python script to tell it to run (I have the variables being pulled already from the python script, but it needs to have something/someone to kick the script off). 

The other thought was to just create a web interface on the python server and use Flask to have users hit it and run the script inputting the variables one at a time.  

Thanks for any help!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Hauke Bruno Wollentin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2023

I'd also go for your second thought. Having a web thingy that is able to take a JSON payload and than create an Automation rule in Jira that fires webhooks against the web thingy.

david.holt@switchthink.com
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 19, 2023

Cool, thanks for the input! Appreciate it!

Like Hauke Bruno Wollentin likes this
Easy for Jira January 22, 2024

Hi David!

Would like to invite you to take a look in our app for Jira cloud!

We've launched by December 2023, a few months after your post, but this still seems possibly a use case for you,

Check the listing:
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1232671/easy-for-jira?tab=overview&hosting=cloud

And the announcement post
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Announcement-discussion/Unveiling-Easy-for-Jira-Python-Extension-for-Jira-Cloud/td-p/2585891

Let me know if you need any info!

Rgds,

Easy for Jira

Like Hauke Bruno Wollentin likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events