Organising Jira for a company that does Systems Integration as well as Software Development.

Steve M December 17, 2020

Hello,

My company works on systems integration projects and we often use software that we develop in house. There is a general lack of awareness and distinction between system integration and product development.

Are there any articles or recommendations on how to organise and manage Jira projects when you are wearing both systems integrator and product developer hats?

I know this question is very general but I suspect that there are many people out there dealing with it and it deeply affects our ability to use Jira in a meaningful manner (I also selected the most general forum category I could find).

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Geoff Mether _Togetha Group_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2020

Hi @Steve M ,

Can you provide a bit more detail?

Are you looking only at Jira Software Or also Jira Service Management?

Looking for advice on workflows/issue types?

G

Steve M February 9, 2021

Hello Geoff, 

Sorry for the delayed reply.

My question relates to using Jira to manage "projects" that require both software development as well as system integration. Presently they are quite conflated inside my organisation. The line between what is a product and what is specific to a customer is not clearly defined. This makes organising Jira as a whole quite hard.  

I am looking for generalised advice on work flows and issue types as well as things like how to define when a piece of code should be managed as a part of a product or as part of a customers environment (this sounds simple buy quickly becomes a rabbit hole with no end). I am looking for a model of how to successfully structure Jira Projects to segregate our work into software development and system integration activities.

Thank you for your help.

Suggest an answer