Jira Cloud for software requirements

Aimee Willoz March 12, 2019

We're moving our software requirements from spreadsheets to Jira Cloud!  We're also planning to use Zephyr to document our tests and map them to the requirements.  Anyone have experience doing this?

I should mention that we're not tracking the development tasks/stories/etc. in Jira - just the requirements (baby steps).

2 answers

2 votes
kg4ysy March 12, 2019

We use Zephyr for JIRA where I work. We've been using it for about a year now and have been having a lot of success with it. We typically use it for regression testing, but also use it for specific testing if there is a new product/feature that needs extensive testing. We currently utilize a total of 206 tests each with an average of 10 individual test steps. I just wrote another test this morning that has 12 steps in it, if that gives you an idea of how active we are with it. Zephyr allows us to import steps for times when writing them in Excel makes sense. Zephyr also gives us an opportunity to track our testing over time. We can see how a particular version progresses over the release schedule. We can also use it to see how many times a particular feature/function fails testing. This data is used to prioritize time assignment in the sprints with the Dev Team. I don't have experience with other testing suites, but Zephyr hasn't given us much of a reason to try anything else. We ran on the free trial, and saw that it could do what we needed. We purchased it and haven't looked back.

1 vote
Brian Walker March 12, 2019

Hi Aimee,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

It's really amazing to know that you are moving to Jira. It's a fantastic tool which will really help the user to manage their requirements.

For Test Management, I really like QMetry for Jira among the all test management apps which has end to end traceability, Import/Export capabilities and very user-friendly in terms of overall test management purpose. 

Suggest an answer