How to generate a board based on Epic name text (part of text)

pravin February 3, 2020

What is the best way to generate a board which will display:

Epics (based on string search, for e.g. "Epic Name" ~ "xyz") and then list all associated stories/subtasks?

I am on Jira cloud.

I am open to any options to achieve this (Addding additional custom fields, or install addons, etc)

Please suggest.

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2020

Hi Pravin - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

If I understand you correctly, you want a board that displays both Epics and their associated stories/sub-tasks on the same board?

Would there be more than one Epic on a board? Or is it one board per epic? 

Also, why would you want the card for the Epic to actually be displayed on the board since they have different workflows and statuses (usually) and the name of the Epic is already displayed on each card for the story?

pravin February 4, 2020

Your understanding is correct.

Yes, the idea is to have all issues in a project to be categorized in two classes. And have one board per class. The categorization of issue is done using the "Epic Name". So there will be multiple Epics on board (though related to same class).

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2020

In that case, I would use Components for the project and create a different Component per class. Then create the filter for the board to include the project and the component. 

For example, Project = XYZ and Component = 123

Like Kevin Bui likes this
pravin February 6, 2020

Thankyou!

However, how can this give me a single board/report, which will show:

• Epics (filtered by certain Field value), and all associated issues
    (stories) at one place?

I was looking at Portfolio plan, but it works on entire project and not on
Epics (filtered by certain field value).

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2020

Just make sure that all of the statuses associated with the Epic and other issue types are mapped to the board. I am not sure exactly what you are expecting to see. Can you do some type of drawing and post here?

Suggest an answer