How to do pagination on JIRA Rest api ?

ravi May 26, 2015

I am currently working on iOS app and want to show all the issues reported by me and i am currently using the below rest api - 

https://help.myDomain.com/rest/api/2/search?jql=reporter=myName+order+by+createdDate&startAt=0&maxResults=50

but it returns all the issues that are reported by me , Now i only want to show first 10 issues in the app and then when the user scrolls down it should load the next batch of issues on the app , How can i do it ? Do i need to add any filters for the above api ? Please let me know 

3 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2015

Use the startAt and maxResults values as appropriate. I wanted to give sample links but the spam filter is not allowing it.

You can have startAt = 0 and maxResults = 10 for the first call. startAt = 10 and maxResults = 10 for the next 10 results and so on.

Arun_Thundyill_Saseendran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2015

Precisely the correct way to do it. We do it in all our scripts.

ravi May 27, 2015

Okay thanks and adding to that can i add something like "/page?limit=5" which confluences uses for pagination ? does JIRA support the same "page" filter like confluence or should i go ahead with the above answer startAt & maxResults ?

ravi May 28, 2015

@Jobin Kuruvilla [Go2Group] Can you please help me with the above question ? thanks

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 28, 2015

/page?limit won't work with REST API. You need to use startAt and maxResults.

Like # people like this
Nagaraj Ms March 1, 2016

Hi,

When I try using the query parameters maxResults or startAt, I get the below error:

"Field 'maxResults' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it."

By default I get just the first 50 results and I need to workaround the Pagination in order to fetch all the results. 

Per André Stromhaug June 24, 2016

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem :/

Paweł Zarzycki January 25, 2017

Just to note (I know the topic is old): maxResults is the parameter you pass in the http query. In response you get "total" field with number of all records within query range. So when parsing JSON result search for a "total" key.

Hope this helps.

Ketan Vidhate November 3, 2017

maxResults is a query parameter, not a JQL-related keyword.

/search?jql=[JQL_string]&maxResults=500

Like Anthony Damico likes this
0 votes
Laura Muiño July 19, 2019
0 votes
Brian Higdon April 5, 2019

Also, if you are running these commands from curl, try url encoding your string. For example = is %3D & is %26. It helped get my tests working.

Suggest an answer