How to assign a created issue to an EPIC with the same name as its status?

Babak Hosseini July 14, 2023

On my board, epics have same names as statuses (column names). So, I want to create an automation rules so that when I create a new issue on any column, it'll assign the issue to the epic with the same name. For example, if I create it under column algorithm, it should be assigned to algorithm epic in that project. Is it possible?

I tried the Epic Name in Edit issue, but it brings an error!Screenshot 2023-07-14 121655.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-14 121451.jpg

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2023

Hello @Babak Hosseini 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Are you working in Jira Cloud or Jira Server/Data Center?

"Epic Name" is a field used only in Epic issues themselves. To assign an issue as a child of an Epic you need to set a different field. The field you need to set depends in part on whether you are using Jira Cloud or Jira Server/Data Center.

If you are in Jira Cloud are you working with a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project?

The field that you will be setting is actually set to the Issue Key for the Epic. You can't directly use the Epic Name in the automation to set the field. So your automation will have to include steps to find the Epic itself based on its name, get the issue key for that Epic, and then insert the Epic's issue key into the correct field for the child issue.

Babak Hosseini July 14, 2023

Hi @Trudy Claspill .

I use Jira software cloud and team projects.

Based on what you said, how can I find the issue key for an EPIC of a project based on its name in the automation pipeline?

I think I need to use Epic Link, but I don't know how to find it using smart values.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2023

ello @Babak Hosseini 

You can assign the issue to an Epic by setting the Epic Link field.

The next question I have for you is are you working with a Work Management or Software project. If you have navigation options horizontally across the top like Summary, Board, List, etc. then you are working with a Work Management project. If you have navigation options on the left side like Board, Issues, and Reports, then you are working with a Software project.

That is important because there is a possibility that you can have more than one status mapped to a column, or that the name shown for the column doesn't match the Status mapped to the column.

Jira doesn't know which "column" the issues you create is in. It knows what Status the issue you create is in.

You can use the name of the Status to search for an Epic by comparing that value to the Epic's Summary field.

Assuming there is one and only one Epic in the project that will match the name of the issue status, this is the rule you would need:

Screen Shot 2023-07-15 at 1.03.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-15 at 1.03.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-15 at 12.58.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-15 at 12.59.47 PM.png

Suggest an answer