How can I change my Custom Text field to support WikiMarkup?

Paul Treadwell July 13, 2021

Hi, I'd like to be able to insert/edit a link to a 'free text' single line custom field I have created.

I've googled and it looks like I need to enable wiki-markup but I don't seem to be able to find the setting. Maybe not supported in jira cloud?? 

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2021

Hi Paul,

Setting the renderer for wiki-markup is done in the Field Configuration. 

Go to Settings (gear icon) > Issues > Field Configurations

Find the field configuration used by your project and select it.

Then find your text field and click the Renderers option on the far right. 

Thanks John, I followed your super clear instructions and have set the 'scope' single line text field to have the wiki rendered.

Screenshot 2021-07-13 180011.png

I was expecting to see the options for inserting a link though when I go to the scope field on my screen though... does it not work for single line text fields?

Screenshot 2021-07-13 180037.png

Like Josh Simnitt likes this

I would be happy to be able to just put this in and manually create the link, like I used to in Jira Server....

[Link Text|URL]
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2021

Good question - I have not tried that for those fields. See if the document helps you any: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-renderers/

Paul Treadwell July 14, 2021

Thanks for the info.

So, here is the thing... I have made the changes to the 'Scope' custom field. I didn't think it worked yesterday, as I was just trying to edit an existing issue which had the field visible.

I have realised today that if I create a new issue in the project, I can indeed see that the wiki rendering is working. But ONLY when creating the issue.

So this when creating...

Screenshot 2021-07-14 172345.png

But once created and I want to edit the value.... no wiki formatting options

Screenshot 2021-07-14 172421.png

Any ideas?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 14, 2021

I don't know more than what is in the document above. It might be time to submit a support ticket.  

Are you Cloud or Server?

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Paul Treadwell July 15, 2021

Cloud.

Will submit one, thanks

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2021

Thanks for the update!

Elliot Jones June 13, 2024

I'm encountering this being a real problem for the way we work :/ I see the bug is closed and a different solution is presented in the form of other field types. I am still encountering the same issue as described above. Not sure what I am doing wrong :(

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 13, 2024

Hi Elliot - It is best to create a new question in the Community. That way more people will see it and can tailor the answers to your specific need. 

Elliot Jones July 9, 2024

Hi John, could you help me understand why a new question would be the best approach, when my post is related directly to the above point?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2024

Only the people who have responded or are watching this particular thread will see your post. With a new question, potentially hundreds will see it. Also each situation is fairly unique, so adding on here doesn't mean that your situation will be the same as the original poster and therefore a similar answer. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events