Exact time a Jira issue was created

Steve Kuo July 25, 2013

How can I get the exact time a Jira issue was created. It currently shows "Created: 2 hours ago". This is actually a rough approximation. I need the exact time the issue was created. The same goes for comments.

To summarize, I'm looking for absolute time and not relative time for creation and comments.

14 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Steve Kuo August 6, 2013

I created a bug against Jira https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-34207

4 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2013

And what do you get if you hover over 'an hour ago'?

BTW, I just spotted - https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/174907/configure-jira-to-show-only-absolute-dates-instead-of-relative-dates which led me to JIRA_INST/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/jpm.xml. Locate the following and adjust the default-value, as ever please backup before any such customizations.

<property>

<key>jira.lf.date.relativize</key>

<default-value>true</default-value>

<type>boolean</type>

<requires-restart>false</requires-restart>

<admin-editable>false</admin-editable>

<sysadmin-editable>false</sysadmin-editable>

</property>

Steve Kuo August 1, 2013

Can this be set on a per user basis? I don't have access to the global configuration. I'm just an end user stuck using Jira.

Like Péter_Kemenyás likes this
Nithin CK August 15, 2013

Hi Andy,

I am using JIRA 6.0 and I followed your steps to change the relative time to absolute time but unfortunately its not working for me.

I also restarted jira after changing the default value of "jira.lf.date.relativize" to false. So can you please help me out in figuring what could be the problem here.

Best Regards,

Nithin CK

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2013

@Steve no, its a system property.

@Nithin, I can't add much more, its just a config file. I have a JIRA6.0.4 here with the change in and it performs as described above. Make sure you've changed the 'right' file not another version. Failing that, head on over to atlassian support, I think?

Nithin CK August 15, 2013

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the response.

I changed the right file and correct property but its not working. I will discuss with the atlassian support.

Best Regards,

Nithin CK

1 vote
RodrigoO October 8, 2015

Just hover your mouse over "XX minutes/hours/days ago" to see the full time-stamp.

1 vote
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 1, 2013

If you search for the issue (key = XXX-444) and it's displayed in the issue navigator and the Created column is shown, you can hover with the mouse over the shown Created date and it will show you the date and time the issue was created.

0 votes
Damián Sánchez Moreno June 29, 2020

Another janky way of doing it is to download the RSS which will contain the whole timestamp. I tried opening the RSS feed with an RSS feed reader and it only displayed partial date, but that may be a configuration issue.

0 votes
SB November 16, 2019

If you run a query > export CSV with current fields > exact time is shown...

0 votes
Alexis Wilke December 16, 2016

@SteveKuo Note that the mouse hover that people talk about is to show the title="..." field of the tag surrounding the time. If your browser does not want to display the title field (you have to place the mouse over and leave it there for a little while like 2 or 3 seconds) then you can right click on the date and do "Inspect Element". You'll then see the full date there. Not at all practical if you have to do that many times, but at least it works.

0 votes
E.ON Business Services GmbH April 16, 2015

I use Version v6.2.7 and changing the mentioned jpm.xml-file works for me.

• <default-value>false</default-value>
  • restart the tomcat

0 votes
Lisa Rahder July 26, 2013

It is not under the History tab. It is under the Activity tab.

Steve Kuo July 26, 2013

Indeed it is under the Activity tab. I initially didn't see it as the Activity tab displays results in reverse order of that in the Comments tab. I was expecting oldest to newest comments (Comments tab), whereas Activity tab does newest to oldest. I failed to scroll down to the bottom of the Activity tab.

Steve Kuo July 28, 2013

Note that Activity tab still shows relative time (e.g. 21 minutes ago), so one could have to manually compute the exact time (now - 21 min).

Is it too much to ask for an issue tracker to show the time the issue was created? Note that this was supported in Jira 4.0 (e.g. https://java.net/jira/browse/GLASSFISH-11389) but has since been removed. Can we get this feature (show creation time) added back in?

Steve Kuo August 1, 2013

Apparently the Activity tab is not accurate. On my issue on the upper right it says Created: 2 hours ago, but under the Activity tab is says it was create 1 hour ago. Which one is correct?

0 votes
Steve Kuo July 26, 2013

A few minutes have passed, I refreshed the Jira issue and it still says "an hour ago". Thus "an hour ago" is just an approximation.

0 votes
Steve Kuo July 26, 2013

I hovered over "Created:" and "an hour ago" and got nothing. Under History tab all it says is "No changes have yet been made on this issue.". All I can infer is that the issue was create approximately an hour ago. I'm looking for the exact time.

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 26, 2013

Im confused. Viewing an issue, on the right had side, (JIRA6) there a People section, and under it, a Dates section, containing Created and Updated dates, to a 1 minute accuracy.

For comments, if you hover over the 'few minutes ago' you'll get the full time details of when a comment was made. as the History Tab as Henning points out does have the comment date. Between the two, you have all the information you wanted.

0 votes
Lisa Rahder July 26, 2013

... try the "Activity" tab from the Report interface.

0 votes
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2013

If you take a look into the history of the issue (history tab on the view screen) you will see the exact time.

Steve Kuo July 25, 2013

History tab does not have the issue creation time. It only has comments.

Like Rafa likes this

Suggest an answer