Can I split a backlog my product owner

Brett Lawrence October 2, 2014

Using JIRA Agile we have a SCRUM board that shows multiple projects some of which are owned by different managers. We are looking to split the backlog section into multiple backlogs where its filtered by project or Product owner to help each manager prioritize their teams backlog.  Is this possible?

1 answer

0 votes
Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2014
  1. Use different Agile Boards - one for product owner A and a second for product owner B. Create a filter behind each board that satisfies the scope of his/her issues. Sprint containers can be created by each product owner on each board.
  2. Use one Agile board - use a filter that has a superset of issues satisfying each PO's scope. Then, set a Quick Filter button at the top of the Agile Board that controls scope for each PO. Sprint containers can be created by each PO on the same board.
Brett Lawrence October 3, 2014

Thank you. So With option 2 I could create quick Filters that would limit the Scrum board as a whole to only show the information that is relevant to a specific PO. Or filter it by project, how ever in-depth they want to go?

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2014

Option 2 can be tricky if the two PO's are not closely working together (remember, a single parent issue can only belong in one sprint, reflected on one Agile Board). So, yes, if the two PO's do not step on each other, the PO can filter the lot to see his/her stuff. The quick filter could slice the data in many ways - vertically or horizontally if you will.

Suggest an answer