Board + Project Admin Permission To Edit Board

Dennis_Woodrow February 18, 2020

I am confused by the documentation regarding a user's ability to edit a board and to what extent. If you are both a project administrator and a board administrator, but you don't have the extended project administration permission, are you still able to add/remove statuses from the board? I'm confused because by adding or deleting a status from the board, aren't you therefore editing the project's workflow which requires the extended project administration permission? 

Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2020

@Dennis_Woodrow When you add or delete a column in a board, you are basically adding or deleting only the board columns, without impacting the underlying project workflow statuses. These board column(s) are just a mapping to the underlying Workflow status(es) and are used to display issues belonging to these statuses in these columns (as per the mapping setup by Project Admin/Board Admin) on your Active Sprints view (for Scrum projects) or Kanban board view (for Kanban projects).

So, basically, as a Board admin, you can configure your board settings, and column to status mapping is one of those settings.

But, to edit the project workflow as a project admin (with some restrictions, obviously), you will need extended project administration permissions in the permission scheme of the project.

I hope this clarifies the confusion!

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2020

@Dennis_Woodrow Did my answer help resolving your query? If yes, could you please mark it as accepted for helping others in the community?

Suggest an answer