Measuring Development Value Stream

Mark Hoogveld September 25, 2018

Hi, I want to create a Value Stream Map for the development Value Stream of my team.

My plan is to create tasks for each step in the Value Stream, have each assignee log the time spent to perform each step (VA).

I would like JIRA to calculate the lead times based upon the status of the task (time from "in progress" to "done")

Has anyone ever done this before and is there a certain report I can use to get this information:

- Avg. Value Added Time per task

- Avg. Lead Time per task

I would also like to know if and how you measure the %C/A (% Correct and Accurate)?

1 comment

Comment

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2018

You can absolutely solve this using the Better Excel Exporter app and a custom report template which:

1. Exports some basic information about the task (typically issue key, summary, assignee, etc.)
  2. Exports the time spent field (i.e. the time metric that you can use for further calculation)
  3. Implement a little script that offers a method with a signature like
    long getLeadTime(issue) 
    It finds the change of the "status" field from the old value "In progress" to the new value "Done" in the issue's field change history. Then it calculates the lead time by subtracting the timestamp of entering "In progress" from the timestamp of entering "Done".
  4. Now you have all metrics and you can apply Excel formulas and functions like AVG(), render these into charts, pivot tables, pivot charts in the template.

Having this, you can get the report by one click from any issue set at any time!

Tip: there is a workflow report template shipped with this app which could be a great starting point, as it works a dead-simple concept of "time metric".

(Disclaimer: it is paid and supported app, developed by my team.)

See: http://www.midori-global.com/products/better-excel-exporter-for-jira/template-gallery#workflow-reports

jira-workflow-report-pivot-chart

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events