Attachment file names should not be truncated in the attachment tool

Gordon_McNenney September 27, 2019

As a Jira user, all day long I add files to issues and then add a comment where I tag team members with a message about the new attachment and a clickable link to the attachment so it’s accessible directly from the alert email they’ll receive. 

In the comment tool bar, the paper clip attachment tool seems like the best way to insert a file link once you’ve dragged the file onto the issue. 

But the paper clip attachment tool:

1. Doesn’t display issue attachments in chronological order (e.g. most recent attachment at the top of the attachment drop down list)

2. Truncates all file names so that documents with names that are the same except for version numbers at the end all appear the same. 

On top of that, sometimes the clip tool doesn’t display any attachments at all. When this happens, you need to save the comment first, then edit it, at which point the clip tool will start displaying attachments again. 

Considering how essential file sharing functionality is for project management software, why does Jira make this so difficult? Choosing a file attachment in a comment is like playing the pokies. You click and hope. 

Why not display files in the clip tool drop down chronologically, with last saved first in the list?

And why not give users the option to scroll over a file name to see the full name?

I’m sure I’m missing some tricks, but from conversations with other team members, this problem is pretty common. 

Any chance of this being improved anytime soon? Thx. 

1 comment

Comment

Gordon_McNenney April 29, 2020

It's been more than six months since I posted this question. It's had 70 views, but no response from anyone at Atlassian, or anyone else for that matter.

I'm guessing the idea behind forums like the Atlassian community is that it allows the Atlassian service team to outsource questions from customers to other customers. 

It doesn't seem to work very well, a bit like Jira I guess. :) 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events