Improving blurry avatars

While we all wait for high-dpi avatar support, there's a quick fix you can do to serve higher quality avatars at least in certain areas of the product such as the comments, and user fields of the issue field--I find it makes things look a lot better.

This trick does require a proxy such as nginx.

Basically, when you are asked to serve a small/xsmall, just strip out that parameter. Here's an nginx example:

location /secure/useravatar {
proxy_pass http://localhost:8080;

# we will specify our own caching on these images; limited to 30 days in case we need to revert the changes in future
proxy_hide_header Cache-Control;
add_header Cache-Control "private, max-age=2592000";

# this basically strips out the size small/xsmall from the request
if ($request_uri ~ "/secure/useravatar\?size=x?small&(.*)") {
set $remaining_args $1;
set $args "";
rewrite "/secure/useravatar" /secure/useravatar?$remaining_args break;
}
}
demo.png

The default cache-control caches for a long time. I modified to a shorter period just to be safe (in case there were some place in Jira where the rendering would look bad).

Been using it for almost a year now with no problems. Let me know if you decide to test it out.

Here's a screenshot before / after.

2 comments

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2021

Neat!

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2021

Great!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events