Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide unused features in a Work Management Project

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2024

Hi guys, and in this case specifically the Atlassian team ...

Jira Work Management is really evolving and useful features keep being added. But in that also lies a growing risk ...

I recently saw attachments and a couple of extra tabs being added to the top navigation, so currently I can see:

Summary | Board | List | Calendar | Timeline | Forms | Pages | Attachments | Issues | Reports | Shortcuts | Apps | Project Settings

A wise person once told me that you should not have more than 8 items in a list in order to keep it usable.

But apart from that: even though it is good to know that new options are available, it is becoming totally overwhelming for users to navigate all this. I would really very much have the option to hide options we don't use from the navigation.

The technique already exists: feature toggles are available in many different places in Jira products and this is becoming an absolute must here too. In general, I would like to be able to hide every individual item so I can decide myself what features I want to use as a PM or Project Admin for my team. While that may be different for other people, I would most commonly keep the Board / List / Timeline / Attachments / Shortcuts tabs, while optionally choosing one or 2 additional ones.

I know there is a feature request for this already: JWMCLOUD-438. While it does not have much traction yet, I think this may be due to JWM being a young product and the issue itself becoming more significant now, as new features keep appearing.

Can anyone comment on plans, support the case and/or provide additional arguments to (not) implement this?

Thx! 

2 comments

Marion Richardson March 11, 2024

Well said @Walter Buggenhout

I also would like the option to remove some of the tabs just like we can do so in Jira Software. In my company we always try to keep things simple but Jira is not simple to train to new people, especially those from a non-PM background. 

Thanks for sharing the feature request ticket, I will be voting for this.

Eric Zheng
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2024

Thanks for the feedback @Walter Buggenhout and @Marion Richardson. We hear you and I can share that we do plan on bringing some new customisation to the top tab navigation soon. Stay tuned for upcoming announcements at our Team 24 event!

Cheers,

Eric
Product Manager, Jira Work Management

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events