Old sprints still lingering even through the projects are deleted

Arnold March 29, 2024

I have a Jira Software Cloud site that's around 10 years old.

I've recently been doing housekeeping and trashing > permanently deleting historical Jira Projects.

In the Create Issue screen, I include the "Sprint" field to easily add a candidate item into a Future Sprint (or the current Active Sprint).

I noticed the "Only show sprints in this project" checkbox:  out of curiosity, I unchecked it and I noticed _loads_ of sprints from the historical, and now permanently deleted, Jira Projects.

I believed this was because the Sprint might have existed in existing issues but JQL 'sprint = "[an example sprint that is no longer in use]"' returns 'no issues found', so that's not it.

I then checked "Boards > View All Boards" in case the data is in an historical board, but only boards in my current projects are there, so that's not it either.

Does anyone know where these historical sprints are coming from, and moreover how to purge these historical sprints from Jira Software Cloud so they don't clutter my "Sprint" field drop-down in the Create Issues screen?

1 answer

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2024

Hi @Arnold 

Whilst Sprints are created in Boards, they're not linked to Projects or Boards - so deleting either of those won't remove the Sprint.

On the GUI, you could try...

• Creating a Scrum Board
  • Using a Filter which includes "all Projects", except active ones

...and see if this surfaces the Sprints in the Reports section. You could then view the Sprint Reports, and delete those you don't need?

---

The alternative would be to see if you can locate/delete the Sprints using the REST API - this page should be a good starting point: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/software/rest/api-group-sprint/#api-rest-agile-1-0-sprint-sprintid-delete

Ste 

Arnold March 29, 2024

hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

thanks for these suggestions.

I just did the first one (Create Filter to look at all projects (I only have 4 in the instance, none in trash (I permanently deleted them); i.e., I don't have any 'inactive' ones, so the filter just says "ORDER BY Rank ASC" i.e. it returns all issues in the instance) and created a Scrum Board to use that Filter then examined its Sprint Reports.  No, the historical sprints aren't there.

I'll have a go at the REST API suggestion next...

Would you happen to know where the "Sprint" field drop-down is getting these historical sprints from, though?  Moreover, I'm wondering what I didn't do (that I should have done) that's caused all these legacy sprints to remain in the system...  Any ideas?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2024

Hi @Arnold 

They're stored separately (and, in Issue History) as Sprints aren't tied to a Board - they're just created there.

As far as I know the "Sprint" data in the Sprint Report is coming from any issue that has one of those Sprints assigned - so if they're old Sprints which were never used, it might be quite hard to find them on the GUI.

You might be able to...

• Create a Test Project
  • Create one issue, and assign all irrelevant sprints to it
  • Filter the board for this Test Project

...and then see if they appear. It could be quite manual though unless you already have a definitive list of sprints.

---

I guess what hygiene steps you should take depends on your circumstances - I would...

• Use consistent naming for sprints to make it easier to identify old vs new ones - eg. Sprint 1 CY24Q1
  • Have board hygiene checks, to ensure empty or unused sprints are being removed
  • Teach users to keep their sprints in check, and self-sufficiently remove unnecessary items

Ste

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events