Managing Team's Internal Non-Project related Tasks and Alerts

Jason Michaud November 18, 2021

Just throwing this out there to see if anyone in the community is similar to us. 

We've been using Jira Software and Service Desk along with Confluence for almost 4 years. Initially I went LIVE with just Jira Service Desk to maintain our Service Desk process for our end users support. The very next year I expanded the Jira Software side to begin maintaining our department's portfolio of business IT related projects we complete for the organization. So these have been strictly what I call - Open/Close/Archive projects.

Now almost 4 years into it - the IT Team has expanded the usage of the Jira Service Desk project to manage all incoming alerts from our various products such as virus monitoring software, SQL monitoring software, Service Monitoring Software, network monitoring and so on. I was never a big believer in that usage because the Service Desk project is supposed to manage our customer's requests not our own IT internal work.

I know all about OPSGenie and due to resources, time, and budget, I cannot commit to rolling that out and supporting it. I need to put into place something that can manage these incoming alerts and still get assigned and/or communicated to the proper staff member. 

My thought was to just create a separate Software project and setup the alerts to roll into that project instead - so they won't be filling up our service desk project. At the same time - I could probably expand the usage of this project that will eventually contain our alerts to also contain all of the auto-created routine tasks that staff have to work on - but are not necessarily related to any of the business IT projects in Jira as well as the 1 service desk project.

Anyone having or had a similar experience? If so, what did you do to resolve this issue without adding another add-on with more complexity and resources which there is no budget for?

0 answers

Suggest an answer