How to include stakeholder in Jira but be able to filter incoming tickets

zzphqazz January 15, 2022

Our team uses Jira with scrum to work on a project. The client who is the stakeholder of the project is not currently part of Jira but submitting their feature requests and bug reports through other channels.

I would like to integrate the client within the Jira project so that the project can be more transparent. I would also like to have them submit their requests within Jira as well, that would make it possible to have a discussion about each item within the Jira ticket.

The problem is that I don't want the client to be able to mess up the priority of the backlog. I would like to have a workflow like this:

Client asking for a feature -> product owner filter and clarifies request -> item appear in backlog.

But it would be great if the client was able to add the request directly in Jira but not in the regular backlog, which might be picked up by the team before PO has made its clarification.

How would I configure Jira for this case?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2022

Welcome to the Community!

Add the client as a Jira user, and then look at the project permissions.  Make sure the client has browse rights (so they can see the project), create (so they can create issues) and other permissions you want them to have, but do not give them "schedule".  That would let them re-rank issues (and edit the due date).

If you don't want issues to go into the backlog when created, then you'll need to set up a workflow and board such that the starting status of new issues is not included in the board.  You'll then need to think about the process of getting issues moved into the backlog.

I wouldn't bother doing that, I would let the issues be created as normal, at the bottom of the backlog, and let the team rank them appropriately (or close them down as won't do) as part of the ususal backlog refinement.

Suggest an answer