Getting "issues have been skipped because they already exist" when trying to update issues

roberto_sc April 16, 2024

I'm trying to update the Parent of existing issues via CSV importer in External System Importer.

The importing page states: "To import child-parent relationships, define the column mapping for: Issue Id, Parent and Issue Type", however, if I do this it ignores the issues:

2024-04-17 02:59:13,476 INFO - External issue 10844 already exists as RES-834, not importing.
2024-04-17 02:59:13,497 INFO - External issue 10860 already exists as RES-850, not importing.
2024-04-17 02:59:13,500 WARN - 2 of 2 issues have been skipped because they already exist in destination projects.

It completely ignores the issues without updating the fields that changed and I told it to map.

I've tried different permutations of fields to import/ignore, including trying to do Parent -> Parent Link and Issue Id -> External Issue Id.

This is my CSV:

SummaryIssue TypeIssue keyIssue idParent
Cleaning up records fails when user is removed from farmBugRES-8501086010844
GeneralEpicRES-83410844 

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2024

Hi @roberto_sc 

When importing the file back into the system - you should only need to map...

• Summary
  • Issue Key - i.e issue you're updating
  • Parent

The Parent field should be the issue key of the Parent, as opposed to the ID

Can you clarify that's the mapping you're doing, and try with the Key rather than ID?

Ste

roberto_sc April 16, 2024

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ thanks for your answer.

When I try that I get two errors:

• You have to define which CSV column maps to Issue Id if you want to import parents.
  • You have to define which CSV column maps to Issue Type if you want to import parents.
If I do include those fields and use Key instead of ID in the parent, it again ignores the issues, which makes sense.
I think what you are describing is what I used last year, but it looks like they changed the importing logic when they made the move from "Epic Link" to "Parent".

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events