Getting a JSON error when trying to safe an automation

Samuel Chebook
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 24, 2024

I've created an automation that creates a ticket on another team's project board. Unfortunately, when I try to save the automation I am receiving the following error: "Additional fields contains invalid field(s) in 'update' or 'fields' section: Custom Field Name"

I tried removing the section containing "Custom Field Name:" and it's corresponding "value" : "red". This only created an error when trying to run the automation. "Error while parsing additional fields. Not valid JSON."

As far as I know, the JSON that is in the "Additional Fields" section is standard with all workflows. Does anyone know what the conflicting error might be? 

Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 11.43.54 AM.png

1 answer

2 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2024

Hello @Samuel Chebook 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Do you have a field named "Custom Field Name" in your issues? The error message indicates that there is no such custom field with that name.

Regarding the parsing error if you remove that section, we would need to see exactly the JSON you have in that case to advise you about that error.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2024

Hi @Samuel Chebook -- Welcome to the Atlassian community!

Yes, and...to Trudy's suggestions:

The image you show is the boilerplate JSON that shows for the Issue Create or Edit Issue actions, and it is normally only used / validated when someone has made an edit to the JSON.

Unless you need JSON for your rule action, please try selecting and deleting all of the JSON in that field, collapsing the section view, and then try to save your action with the Next button.

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events