Creating a hierarchy of interlinked cascading kanban boards

Craig Martin April 16, 2024

Looking to setup a structure for a SAFE style NWOW. Want to setup a portfolio Kanban, large solution, ART and team kanban and have these integrated and connected? Is this possible in Jira? Doesnt appear to be much in the help area on how to do this. 

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2024

Welcome to the community, @Craig Martin  👋

Jira is designed to help project teams be successful with their projects, which is another way of saying Jira out-of-the-box is not designed for people like you. People who need to look at things from a portfolio level. 

Anyways. Sorry. No. You can't set up something like what you describe.

What to do?

1. Have a look at Jira Align, a sister Atlassian product to Jira that is designed for portfolio management and has deep SAFe roots.
  2. Compare and contrast that ( 👆 ) with Atlassian Marketplace solutions designed for project portfolio management (PPM).

I suggest #2 because Jira Align is a "big" (broad and deep) solution, it may be overkill for your needs. But there are Atlassian Marketplace add-on that offer similar functionality in a lightweight fashion.

Hope this helps,

-dave

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2024

P.S.  The Atlassian Marketplace also has products designed specifically for SAFe.

Craig Martin April 17, 2024

Thanks @dave - that was very helpful

1 vote
Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2024

@Craig Martin Welcome to the community I hope all is well.

So a project can have many boards and all be connected by and data moved between them based on labels, components, custom fields etc.

If you want to grab data from multiple board and or projects and categorize this data you can use Plans aka Advance roadmaps. This can take the different hierarchy and put them in specific view for you and the team to see the data.

I am not sure I understand your question to "hierarchy of interlinked cascading kanban boards".
I am trying to image what your asking with my level of information on SAFE and thinking that this would be able to be done in Jira Align but not sure you would be able to do this in Jira itself.

Respectfully,

Aaron

Craig Martin April 17, 2024

Thanks @Aaron Geister - I appreciate your quick response 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS