Using a Business Project for Asset and Location Management

Jeremiah Fischer May 26, 2022

I've already vetted the options for asset management apps. I wasn't completely satisfied with their capabilities. One of which being that I cannot associate an asset to a customer. This was a big one for us. Nor could we use them in automations (so it seems).

So, I decided that using just a couple Business templates I now have the power and flexibility to dictate almost everything I can imagine. Between custom workflows, issue types and fields to automations. It seems like a logical choice. The only hang up is that they're called "issues" and meant to be moved along a workflow. But, why can't it be suited for a custom setup like this?

I could be off base with the capabilities of the Assets app or completely missing other options out there, but I want to know what everyone thinks. Is this a wrong path to take?

1 answer

0 votes
Björn Frauen _STAGIL_ May 26, 2022

Hi Jeremiah,

this is exactly the way that Atlassian has recommended 3 years ago for asset management and also this is the philosophy behind our app STAGIL Assets - Advanced Links. We use issues with all their strong default Jira features and extend it with asset related features such as

1. Advanced links and link fields to connect assets to assets and assets to issues/tickets,

2. QR Code

3. Avatars

4. Asset Navigator UI

5. Link Dependency Graphs

6. Issue Panels to i.e. show all open incidents related to the selected CI on an ITSM incident.

Other asset apps are busy with rebuilding default Jira features such as permissions, search, notifications, workflows and more where we focus on the relevant missing gaps - because Jira is strong by default.

If you have questions feel free to drop us a line on support@stagil.com.

Best regards
Björn

Suggest an answer