To add "Rank" Number field to "Issue Statistics" Gadget

Varun Nedumaran July 21, 2021

Hi Team,

Could you please let me know how to get the  "Rank"  number field value in "Statistic Type" of "Issue Statistics Gadget"

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2021

Rank is not a number field, but even if it were, it would be of no use in "statistic type" - you can think of the value as being unique for every issue, so all you'd get from a bar chart of it is a flat series of "1 issue has this value".

Could you explain what you're trying to achieve here?  We might be able to help by putting you on a more useful path.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2021

Ok, so they've confused things by adding a field called rank.  I would recommend they change this to a word or phrase that is more representative of what it really is for.  It's absolutely not a ranking function, and Jira-speak is very clear that "rank" always refers to ranking issues, which is only done with the built-in Rank field.

You've already said "priority group", so that's probably what I'd change it to.

However, you've also said this is a numeric field.  Which are nonsense in issue statistics gadgets.  But that's not what you're using it for either.

I would strongly recommend using a different field type for this.  A select list could easily list all of the coherent "priority groups", with the benefits of:

• stopping people putting junk in (I could put in ~pi - 3.14 if I felt like it - is that really a valid "priority group"?  Nope)
  • Allowing you to actually group issues by their priority group in places like the issue statistic gadgets
0 votes
Varun Nedumaran July 26, 2021

Hi Nic,

The following is the response from my customer:

We are using “Rank” to group work into priority categories, per se.  For each quarter, we rank our Epics into “Ranks” of 0, 1, 10, 30, 99… each denoting a different priority group.  I realize that we could do this with a label, or the actual priority field, but “Rank” is the field that was chosen for this purpose.

We have an agreement on our Kanban board to allow a certain % of stories from each category to be worked on.  For instance, 70% of our WIP should come from epics with a Rank of 1, 20% from Rank 10, etc. 

I need an easy way to see the percentages of this active work on our board, so I thought to use the Issue statistics gadget on the dashboard, as I would be able to see % for each Rank.

Hope that helps.  We are not using Rank as Atlassian mentions below.

Suggest an answer