System Components field appearing in screen where it is not defined

Sylvie Ruffin February 27, 2020

I have a project where project admin has created Components, but this system field was not added to any of the create, edit , view screens.

However users are able when bulk changing issues to update the components which are then appearing in the screen. They cannot edit that field but they can see it in the view screen which is not supposed to contain it.

I have even one issue were components is empty and still visible on the view screen.

Is it a specific feature of the Components field? I couldn't find any documentation on it.

6 answers

0 votes

Well my users don't need me to go to the Atlassian pages and know all the funny features. And with JIRA 6.4.5 we did not notice this issue.

I guess we will have to review our policy on bulk change but that's going to be a battle.

0 votes
Tom Lister February 27, 2020

Hi @Sylvie Ruffin 

You can control access to bulk updates through the global permissions although only via groups. Ideally I would restrict it to a project admin role.

We don't make users aware of the feature as it's easy to cause a lot of damage.

0 votes
Gergely Fehér February 27, 2020

What are those limitations with the field configuration hiding? Can you add some more details why you find it problematic? (I'm just curios, as I'm plannign to rebuild our project config structure in the near future, and have a lot of uncertanities in screen configs vs. field configurations.)

0 votes

I find a bit worrying that we can set up a project defining what fields users can see by defining screens and then with bulk change rights you have access to anything.

Also because bulk change is not a permission you give to a user at the level of the project, it can be very acceptable that a user project admin of project A can do bulk change on it, but on project B where he is on the business side he shouldn't. But I can't prevent that as JIRA admin.

This is not going in the right direction for JIRA instances used for years and allowing a certain level of customisations. Having as only possibility to hide a field in the field configuration is very limitative.

0 votes
Tom Lister February 27, 2020

Hi @Sylvie Ruffin 

Bulk editing of issues will give you access to all acceptable fields whether or not they are on forms or hidden.

Components is a system field so can be applied to any issue type regardless of other setups.

Tom

0 votes
Gergely Fehér February 27, 2020

I think the solution should be hiding that field in your field configuration.

Suggest an answer