Vasileios Giannakopoulos April 27, 2018

Hello,

I enabled the option of users creating accounts. However, when someone (Safari, Chrome, FF) is trying to create an account, the button is not working. Also upon refresh, the specific page is empty and the button "Sign up for an account" on the main page is not responding.

I think it is a bug. Can you help?

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 27, 2018

So I tried it, it didn't work.  I looked at the HTTP response in the console logs and found this HTTP 400 error:

{"errors":[],"reasonKey":"Signup is not currently available","reasonCode":"400"}

This indicates that your Jira instance does not have signup enabled, so end users cannot create their own accounts.   Sign into Jira as an administrator, then go to Gear Icon -> Applications -> Jira Service Desk -> Configurations. You could also go to $JIRAURL/secure/admin/SDConfiguration.jspa There is a Public Sign up option there that has to be set to 'Yes' in order for users to create their own accounts.

Check to make this sure this is enabled and then see if this corrects the problem.  Please let us know the results.

Andy

Hi,

Thanks for your answer @Andy Heinzer but i had already done that.Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 20.19.58.png

Maybe i am missing something else?

Thanks!

Like J Nsereko likes this
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 27, 2018

In that case, I would recommend looking back at the documentation on Enabling public signup for JIRA Service Desk:

Since you have already enabled this for Service Desk in that screenshot, we then should check the specific project permissions for this particular Service Desk project:

You or a service desk project administrator can then open a service desk at the project level:

1. Go to Project administration > Customer permissions.
  2. Select Anyone can sign up for a customer account on my Customer Portal

If this setting is enabled, try to see if customers can sign up now.   If you are still running into problems with this, the document does have some next steps to look at:

In situations where users are unable to change their passwords, check that a Delegated Authentication Directory is not the highest in the order of User Directories. As a workaround, you can change the order of User Directories, or alternatively use a connection to a LDAP directory instead.

It is possible that if you have additional user directories in Jira that do not allow for the creation of new accounts in Jira, that having these in the top ordered directory of Jira could also prevent the user from being created.

Like J Nsereko likes this

hm... ok i see a problem here.

To start with:

JIRA Service Desk 3.12.0

JIRA Software 7.9.0

It's a server installation not Cloud.

Now... By "Project administration" i guess you mean "Project Settings", the cogwheel in the project down left. In there, there is a Customer permissions

However, the option "Anyone can sign up for a customer account on my Customer Portal" is not there. I checked the Enabling public signup for JIRA Service Desk but i see the same issue:

Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 21.34.52.png

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
April 27, 2018

Yeah, I am aware this is a server version of Service Desk.   Thanks for checking this other setting as well.  

Can you tell us more about your current User Directory settings in Jira?  Specifically I would like to know what your /plugins/servlet/embedded-crowd/directories/list page looks like.  You can also get to this by going to Cog -> User Management -> User Directories.

The scenario I envision at this point is that you have a 'read-only' directory in the top position.  As such Jira can't create new accounts in this read-only directory, like it could inside the Jira internal directory. 

Of course I could be wrong, but given the error message I saw, there appears to be something on the system that prevents account creation right now.  If this is not the user directory settings, then we need to know more about this environment to better troubleshoot this problem.

Please let me know.

Andy

Vasileios Giannakopoulos April 28, 2018

you were right!

it was a matter of priority in the user directories. To be honest, i didn't know that mattered.

Issue is resolved!

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
April 30, 2018

Sweet!  Glad this helped. 

0 votes
Pachaiyappan Durai January 22, 2019

Please ensure you have valid URL

0 votes

I would like to add, and please test it yourself this:

[redacted for privacy by moderator]

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders