One ticket owner plus a "task owner/assignee" (may be same or different person)

Scott Ashburn January 14, 2019

I'd read an older post where there was a debate about 1 single ticket owner versus multiple assignees.

I've used Jira and Jira Service Desk and we may go back to that.   What I've learned from my 13 years of experience is there is a "technical department"-type ticket 'shepherd' or 'steward' who can be active and passive on a given technical situation, but this person behaves as the responsible party to get the ticket to the finish line, with or without collaboration.  TWO people at times, one person at other times for the same ticket.

We have found the need to create a "current task owner" who is the 'baton-holder' or the hand-off 'hot potato' where this person may or may not be the technical resource who owns the ticket.   In certain situations, the technical resource may be waiting on information from someone who either presented the ticket or on others who may or may have not originally had any involvement.   In this case we have an owner but also a task owner:  two fields, two people.  The owner maintains an eye on the situation almost as a project manager, regardless of the scale or scope of a matter.   Once the 'current task owner' completes the task, they may hand it off to another. 

I'd like to hear from technical ticket system admins who uses the ticket system that way.   How are you configured?

2 comments

Lindsay Siurna September 25, 2019

Hi Scott, 

We are just setting up JSD and are having a similar debate.  We have a Service Manager who would be responsible for making sure all tickets get to the finish line, but we are wondering if we need to add a ticket owner field.  If a ticket comes in from Mr. X for example, the reporter field gets set to Mr. X.  Then the Agent that first looks at the issue in the unassigned queue will assign it to themselves and work on it. If the issue requires help from Tier 2, it is assigned to a member of Tier 2 and then it should be assigned back to Tier 1.  It doesn't take that much work to figure out who the assignee was before but it adds time.  We were thinking of adding a custom Ticket Owner field so Tier 2 knows who to send it back to and it would also come in handy for who to send SLA breach alerts to.  Does this make sense?  Is it ITIL best practice?

Thanks,

Lindsay

Piet-Michiel Rappelet June 11, 2020

Hi 

Any ideas on this? I now create a linked task in the specific JIRA project linked to the SD ticket, but its way too much overhead for smaller tickets. 

thanks! 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events