Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you manage escalation and SLAs with Service Desk

Gabriel Viger April 5, 2018

Hello everyone,

We are currently using Service Desk for bug reports and depending on the priority, we have configured SLAs:

• Urgent = 15 min to First Response
  • High = 1 hour to First Response

The thing is that sometimes, an issue can be reported as High but is upgraded to Urgent after the dev. has acknowledged the issue.

When changing the priority, the SLA gets updated and is now showing as breached.

My question to the community is: Do you have the same issue as me? If not, what would be you input on this situation?

Thanks for your input :)

Gabriel

1 comment

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2018

Hi gabriel,

I guess the question is why is the priority changed when a Dev acknowledges it?  That does not make sense in my mind.  Or if they have acknowledged it wouldn't that stop the response timer as it has now been responded to?

We do not have that issue.  First Response timers stop when someone responds.  We have resolution timers and if an issue becomes escalated than the resolution timer may change.

Hope that helps

Susan

Gabriel Viger April 5, 2018

Hi Susan,

Thank for the quick reply. The way devs works here is that an event is reported by a end-user as High, However, when the dev investigate, he might discover that the issue is in reality a Urgent priority since it impacts multiple services, users, etc.

This is why at this point, the dev. would upgrade the priority to Urgent.

By changing the priority, it also updates the SLA goal for the ticket.

Let's say the Dev. acknowledge the ticket (raised with an High priority) within an hour, let say 45 min, the SLA is met. However, by updating the priority to High, the SLA is now showing as breached because the SLA goal for Urgent is 15m.

I will try to reproduce this behavior in a video and post-it here.

Thanks again for your response.

Gabriel

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2018

HI Gabriel,

I don't think there is anything to change that.  Perhaps you shouldn't set your SLA for Response times based on priorities or keep it the same for all priorities if the priority is subject to change AFTER it's been assessed.  Maybe then focus on the time to resolution once the true priority has been set.

SUsan

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events