Comments sync between projects

WasimBuden April 25, 2020

Hi,

We are using Backbone issue sync and its setup between project A in JSD and project B in Jira. When a developer picks the ticket created by JSD backbone sync he doesn't have an option to add 'reply to customer' and he can only add an internal comment. This causes a dependency on 1st level support to copy past the comments.

Issue 2 with this approach is, we can not track comments added by the developer as the comments on JSD tickets are added by the backbone as a bot user! Any suggestions/help,Screenshot 2020-04-25 at 12.31.51.png please.

2 comments

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 27, 2020

Hello  @WasimBuden 

I'm with the Exalate team (which is another issue synchronization solution available on the marketplace). 

Note - Exalate has a different approach in the configuration of the synchronization as it is scripting based (and not GUI based like Backbone).  I'm leaving this comment here for those users who encounter the same problem while using Exalate.

One of our customers had the same problem - where they wanted that their developers have the liberty to decide if a comment should be seen by the customer or not.  The agreement was that if the comment starts with 'Dear', the comment was made external else

Exalate is script-based - allowing to configure this sync behavior.  Just add the following statement to the incoming sync processor

issue.comments = commentHelper.mergeComments(issue, replica,{                  
                // make the comment external if it starts with 'Dear'

it.internal = !(it.body?.startsWith("Dear"))

}

Comment impersonation is documented here 

Francis

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2020

Hi @WasimBuden

I'm part of the team behind Backbone Issue Sync and try to answer some of your questions

Issue #1: Sync internal Jira comment to public JSD comment

We've heard this request already from other customers as well and we do have a UI concept for this ready.
In this concept, you can define a keyword to make comments public. Every internal comment with this keyword would then be synchronized as a public comment into your JSD. Would that be your desired behavior?
You can also keep track of our public issue: BAC-785. This issue also suggests you can implement a workaround using some automation tool you might have. This would need to listen to comments being added, checking for the keyword and switching the comment to be publicly visible.
This community post can get you started on a Script.

Issue #2: Comments are added as a bot user

You're right, all comments are added right now with that bot user - and you can't change it so far. This is mainly done because the user base is often different when you sync between two Jira instances - and therefore you need to have such a bot user approach to still enable the synchronization.
In combination with your first issue, I'm also not sure if you'd wanted to do that because writing public comments with the personal account would require every developer to be a service desk agent.

I hope that clarified some points. I've heard you were also in contact with our support. If you want to discuss additional things, we're happy to support you where you want it.

Cheers,
Matthias.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events