Notify your agents when an issue is created

Hi all,

I've been noticing some questions pop-ing up related with agent notifications on service desks. Most of them have to do with notifying agent when an issue is created and while this is configurable via notification scheme in Classic projects you could to use Automation to have a lightweight approach. Automation is also present in JSD Next Gen projects so it works, today!

You should continue reading if you want a easy way to configure notifications on ticket create, have a small team of agents you want to ping or if you love Next Gen but need Notifications.

How to set it up:

1. The first step is to head over to the Automation page and to click create a new custom rule.

Plan Deep Dive.001.jpeg

2. Add the on "Issue created" trigger

Plan Deep Dive.002.jpeg

3. Select the "Alert user" action and fill in the "Users to mention" with the users you want to alert when an issue is created.

Plan Deep Dive.003.jpeg

4. Don't forget to save the above!

5.(Optional) You could add a condition to apply this to select request types. For example you might want agents to be notified only of new account requests vs other types like hardware requests.

Verification:

1. Go to your portal and fill in a ticket.

Plan Deep Dive.005.jpeg

2. Go to the agent view an see the automation comment internally and mentioning the users you want to alert.

Plan Deep Dive.006.jpeg

You're done! Your agents will be notified of all new issues.

This works well if you have a small number of agents you want to manage. In my opinion anything above 10 per automation rule is going to prove hard to manage.

You can make use of this in Classic as well as Next Gen so you're not going to feel the difference.

Good luck,

Radu

5 comments

Craig Gjerdingen [Administrator] March 31, 2020

Has anyone written a email template that mimics the classic Jira notification information?

scott_boisvert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2020

Too bad you can't do groups... :(

Like Radu likes this
Radu
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 15, 2020

@scott_boisvert since this article came out we shipped a new automation for JIRA https://www.atlassian.com/blog/jira-software/introducing-automation-in-jira which also works in JSD.

Head over to Project Automation in Classic Project settings or Project Automation in Project Settings -> Apps on Next gen and configure your notification there. It has group support and much more.

Let me know how you do.

Cheers,

Radu

scott_boisvert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2020

@Radu I believe that's only available in Cloud.  We're on Data Center. I could do it via script runner, but it just seems a logical feature to be able to notify a group rather than individuals.

Like Radu likes this
Radu
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 15, 2020

@scott_boisvert thanks, you're right. I was thinking of cloud.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events