Add links to external resources in your Jira Service Management portal

Hello everyone! 

We are excited to release a new capability on Jira Service Management which will enable project admins to add links to external resources on their Portal.

The external resources feature allows you to add links to helpful self-service knowledge, communication channels like chat, request forms, and more from tools outside Jira Service Management.

External resources  add.png

For example, you could add the link to a video on how to set up your VPN or link out to a document about your leave policy. Or you could share a Slack channel that would guide your customers or employees to the right service team. Or if your HR team may be using a different tool to receive requests, you could add a link to such request forms that live in a different request management system.

You can learn more about this capability here - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/add-links-to-external-resources-in-your-portal/

We would love to hear your feedback on this new capability. This will help us greatly as we plan the next version of this feature. If you have tried this feature, please share your feedback with me at skoshy@atlassian.com .

Eagerly looking forward to your feedback and suggestions! 

14 comments

Muhammad Fahad
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2022

A nice feature to leverage off the external content. Thanks @Sushant Koshy . 

Like Sushant Koshy likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2022

Hi @Sushant Koshy ,

Thank you for sharing this information. This is certainly a nice addition and, based upon my time in the Community, it will be well received. One thing that would be nice is to allow for more flexibility on configuring where on the screen this appears as well as how it is presented to the user yo make it more prominent. 

Like # people like this
Gail August 8, 2022

Nice feature - Thanks.   My main wishlist item is to be able to configure the JSM Help Center to a completely different layout.   

Like # people like this
Kalin U
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2022

I agree with @Jack Brickey: the option to place the links above the groups or even between them or even between requests within a group would provide even greater functionality. From a user's perspective, the external resources are just as important items in the portal as the "native" request types I can pick.

Also, being able to add an icon (perhaps in the same way one is provided to request types) would make the external links more meaningful.

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2022

Nice feature, just tested it out.

I also agree with @Jack Brickey , would love to have the option to place Related resources above the Contact us about panel.

Like # people like this
Sushant Koshy
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2022

@Jack Brickey @Gail @Dave Mathijs  @Kalin U - Thank you for your feedback on the flexibility of placement of external resources. We are taking this feedback and will explore options to manage this in subsequent releases.

@Kalin U - We now display icons against the links based on the website. For example, we display youtube icon for all youtube links. Please let us know what you think of it. 

Like # people like this
Kalin U
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2022

@Sushant Koshy I appreciate the YouTube icon, and yes, I see it :) It is a nice addition.

Links to a SharePoint site don't display the SharePoint icon though. Same for online Word and Excel files. The automatic retrieval of the favicon seems like the easiest way, but this should be either done for all sites or at least let admins choose an icon per their liking. There are many non-technical users who depend on visuals to navigate service portals, especially if the portal is in a language not officially supported by Atlassian.

Scott Koorey September 1, 2022

This is a nice feature, I'm definitely going to start using this for featured content in our knowledgebase. However, these links are only visible when you click on a specific project from the Help Center main page. We have two main projects for our customers, but there is also some content which is 'global' (ie it applies to all our customers), and really ought to be visible on the main Help Center page itself.

It would be great if external resources links could be added at the Help Center level, as opposed to just the project level.

Like Rudy Holtkamp likes this
Sergei Gridnevskii
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2022

I may be mistaken but we always had such a possibility - I added links to KB in fields descriptions long ago.

Like this:

Fix issue with customer data ^_[help|https://oursite.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/kb/view/540410186?applicationId=20616891-9798-3e01-8526-a8f25b3f683d&title=Data+Fixes+Form]_^

This is how it looks on portal:

Untitled.png

Like Thomas Wälti likes this
Pedram Mireftekhari
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2022

This is a nice feature and it would be much better if we could place it somewhere else such as on top of the page. As well as the possibility of changing the title of it from "Related resources" to something else.

Andrew Marshall September 2, 2022

Great feature. Replaces our current workaround for this of putting links in the Introduction Text field.

The three main things I have for feedback (which seem to be shared by others)

• It would be great to be able to set a custom icon for each link, or be able to remove the icon and replace it with an emoji. 
  • It would be good to be able to set where these links appear. As the majority of the links we'll be using this for are knowledgebase, it makes sense for these to feature at the top so a user sees them without having to scroll past the request types
  • It would be good to be able to change the Related Resources title
ZC September 4, 2022

@Sushant Koshy  it is applicable for company-managed projects only?

REG23 September 9, 2022

Hello

Nice feature. How could we add translation of title and description for External resources ? Could not find under Language support.

Thanks

Like # people like this
Venkat_Suresh December 7, 2023

@Sushant Koshy Is there any plan to include it in DC or Server?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events