Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insights Field

Mike Wilk April 24, 2024

I understand how to create Insights, and how they can be used, but I cannot figure out what the Insights field is supposed to do exactly. I originally thought it was similar to the Linked issues field and would display a counter of the number of Insights on an idea, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

When I check the Field Settings it shows that it is a custom formula field & a system field with the description: 

Capture user needs: snippets from customer interviews, user research links to support tickets or sales opportunities, or messages from stakeholders.

I know since it's a system field that we cannot manually click on it or edit it, but I can't figure out what it's supposed to display. Nothing I do seems to change the value from "None" to anything else. 

Can someone please explain what the Insights - system custom formula field is supposed to display, when, why, and how? (see red circled area in screenshot)

I'm attaching a screenshot of a JPD idea. You can clearly see that has 2 existing Insights, but the Insights field still displays the value of "None."

I'm wondering if I've stumbled upon a defect or if I'm just not aware of what the field should be displaying. (Note: I did search all online documentation and found no details or information that explain what the field is supposed to display, when, why, or how.)

Thank you in advance for your assistance!Insights-field-None.png

2 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2024

It's a bug, thanks for reporting it. It's supposed to show the same as in the view. We'll fix that. 

Mike Wilk May 6, 2024

Aha! I knew I wasn't going totally crazy. Thanks so much.

Like Tanguy Crusson likes this
0 votes
Kate May 5, 2024

My interpretation of the Insights description is it's a place to record justification and support information that will assist with getting the idea moved towards delivery.

For example, if I did a feedback session with a group of users for a coffee app and I end up with a spreadsheet of responses that say users find it hard to use loyalty points for free coffee. Assumably I would an create the idea about how I would look to address this and then attach the user responses as Insights to provide justification as to why it should be done.

Or, maybe my JPD space is about prioritising continuous improvement and feedback can be from from non-technical users. The insights field can be used to work through how we would look to deliver the idea from a technical view.
If a non-technical user tells me information like "the colour scheme is terrible", maybe insights are a place to put submissions from a few different designers about their recommendations about how we change the app. 

Rob Mkrtchian May 6, 2024

Besides the use cases you mentioned, our team uses insights to hold "slash poker" sessions. As you might already implied, it is an altered version of Planning Poker, but instead of planning we use Slash Poker sessions to "clean" our JPD board and be able to focus on ideas that have strong foundation and include in prioritization sessions only ideas that have strong evidence-based insights for moving forward with, and ignore the rest. Basically how you hold slash poker session:

You will work with two type of insights: Slasher, and Veto.

1. Slasher is your reasoning for not pursuing an idea, linking it back to an insight.

2. Veto is an insight that is used to defend an idea.

Both the Slasher and Veto fields are optional, but you need to choose either, one, or both or pass it. However, if both are filled, the admin asks you to explain your reasoning with "five whys," helping you to decide whether to keep or discard the Veto or Slasher rationale. Ultimately, each idea receives a pass, veto, or slasher status. Admins of Slash Poker (e.g. Product Manager/Lead who is the organizer of Slash poker) see the results sorted into three buckets based on the majority vote, along with a summary of the Slash Poker voting results. This summary includes insights and AI-generated summaries of the Slasher or Veto arguments (e.g. insights), adding them as an insight to idea with a label "Slash Poker" which then helps to do more informed prioritization session.

We currently organize this with sticky notes within our team, but it hard to play it if you are distributed team. Therefore, we are thinking of creating an Atlassian app of "Slash Poker" that will improve and structure the collection of insights from different stakeholder groups.

Like Kate likes this
Mike Wilk May 6, 2024

I appreciate the feedback, but the replies are missing the point of the question. I understand how and what "Insights" can be used for on ideas.

I want to know what the Insights - system custom formula field (the red circled area in the screenshot) is supposed to display, when, and how. 

Currently, adding Insights to ideas does nothing to impact the field in any way. So, what's the point?

Like Kate likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events