Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac App - Prevent cmd+w from quitting app

Alex September 21, 2021

When I use the keyboard shortcut to close the current window (cmd+w) the app is also quit.  This is counter to Mac app design standards and is not intuitive to Mac users.

How can I close the current Jira app window without quitting the app?

2 answers

1 vote
Simon Stiefel
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 22, 2021

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the feedback!

For the macOS app, we're using Apple's Catalyst technology and until our app supports multiple windows, this is how Catalyst manages the lifetime of the app. I'll forward your feedback to the team.

Thanks,

Simon

Alex September 22, 2021

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Knowing now that the Jira macOS app is implemented using Catalyst I can understand some of the challenges with lifecycle management.

Your dev team may find this resource helpful in diagnosing this.

Best regards,

Alex

Like Simon Stiefel likes this
Simon Stiefel
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 22, 2021

Thanks Alex for the link. I'll talk to the team about this.

Like jack likes this
0 votes
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2021

I'm a little confused by your question (and how you've tagged your question).

Using Jira Cloud on a Mac means we're using a browser to get to Jira. Command+W in the three browsers I use will close (only) the current browser tab.

There really isn't a way to "quit the app" when using Jira Cloud. Your Jira Cloud is always running. All of your Jira interface exists in Browser tabs and windows.

I see you've also tagged this question with "jira-mobile". Are you perhaps using Jira Mobile on an iPhone? Or maybe on an iPad with a keyboard? Clarity about your situation will help people to better answer your question.

Alex September 22, 2021

I am using the native macOS app downloadable through the Apple app store.

I logged this under the category titled "Jira Mobile & Desktop Apps" which made sense to me, and this automatically (and somewhat strangely) adds the tag "jira-mobile".  I further manually added the tag "mac" to indicate I mean the Mac desktop app.

I supposed that this "jira-mobile" tag was added by the form to direct this to the native apps team (knowing the Mac app is quite new and this team would mostly be dealing with mobile apps). Better options and more clear tag assignment through this form could have helped avoid this ambiguity :)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events