Where is Jira API documentation?

Siavosh Kasravi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2020

It is really strange but is there any reference anywhere on Jira API, the one we use in Adaptavist ScriptRunner on the we or anywhere else?

[edit]

Suppose I want to read a custom user property via ScriptRunner. What reference of guide should I look for?

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2020

Hi Siavosh,

there is indeed documentation for Jira REST API (https://developer.atlassian.com/server/jira/platform/rest-apis/).

I am not sure what you mean by your question to REST API in connection with ScriptRunner. Did you refer to Script REST Endpoints?
Documentation on this you can find here:
https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/5.4.47/jira/rest-endpoints.html

Cheers,
Daniel

Siavosh Kasravi
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 28, 2020

Hi Daniel

I don't mean the REST API. I mean the Java API. I mean this. But it looks like a bot generated listing. Not a useful practical usable reference.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2020

The javadoc is not supposed to be a developer's guide, it's a practical usable reference doc.

If you want development guides, check the Atlassian plugin writers docs.

Siavosh Kasravi
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 28, 2020

Thanks for your response. I have used many technical references and I can tell you the link I shared merely lists the classes and methods with the least description possible. It is more likely to be used by the API developers as I believe that is what you meant. This is the entry point for that reference. You may compare it to MS MFCQt or Python references which all provide deep and detailed explanation of the design and use of their subject. One other link I found is this page which provides some examples. Even the final reference links provided in that page lead to the javadoc we talked about.

Would you be kind and provide me a link to the Atlassian plugin writers docs you mentioned if it is different from the links I provided?

Siavosh Kasravi
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2020

Where are Atlassian plugin writers docs?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2020

As @Daniel Ebers pointed to - https://developer.atlassian.com

The javadoc is minimal because there is no need for it to be complex.  I've always struggled with some of the links you've mentioned because the docs are trying to talk at every level and hence there's vast amounts of useless (to me) verbiage in there.  Docs should do one thing well, not try to be all things.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events