When can a user take over an issue ("Assign to me" link)?

totkzv March 10, 2020

In our workflow when an issue reaches "Tested" status, the script automatically assigns it to the first user in "Manager" role. The manager changes the status either to "Closed" or to "Reopened".

We've got 2 users in "Manager" role: Manager1 and Manager2. The script assigns everything to "Manager1", the first in the list. Sometimes Manager1 is on vacation and Manager2 takes over. The workflow allows any "Manager" to close or reopen "Tested" issue, but the interface does not display the buttons for Manager2, nor does it allow him to change the assignee. If an administrator changes the assignee, Manager2 can process the issue.

Is there any way for Manager2 to assign issues from Manager1 to himself without disabling the profile of Manager1 and without involving the administrator? What permissions need to be set, so that an "Assign to me" link appeared?

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2020

Hello @totkzv

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

The permission to assign issues is added by the project permission scheme, where the users can select which users/groups/roles can assign issues on a per-project basis.

That being said, these would be the steps to properly allow the manager2 to assign issues without the need to involve an Administrator:

1 - Navigate to the issue's project > Project settings > Permissions

2 - Add the manager2 to any groups(under user administration) or roles (Under project Settings > People) that are configured to the permissions Assign Issues and assignable user.

P.S: You can use the permission helper in the top-right corner to check more details about the permission. Also, be aware that the roles you add to manager2 can also be related to other project permissions, so make sure to check on other permissions and confirm you are not adding undesired permissions to the manager2 when adding him with a group/role.

For more information about project permissions, check the documentation below:

Managing project permissions 

Let us know if you have any questions.

totkzv March 12, 2020

Thanks, that worked. "Manager" role needed the Assign Issues permission to be set.

But I implied a different question. If I understand correctly, now they can change the assignee for any other issue to any user. This is OK for a manager, but not OK for junior programmers and testers.

I was looking for something less broad. Is there a way to allow a user with a certain role to reassign an issue only to himself, when the issue is in a certain state? E.g. "Requires coding" for "Programmer" and "Requires testing" for "Tester".

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 18, 2020

Hello @totkzv

You are welcome.

About your new question, I believe it is possible to restrict users to only assign issues to themselves that are in a determined status by using a User picker custom field and adding it to your project screens and project permissions. These would be the steps:

1 - Create a new user picker custom field and add it to your project screens

2 - Navigate to your Project > Project Settings > Permissions Add the field you created to the assign issues permission, but restricting the groups and roles related to your programmers from assign issues. This will cause your programmers to be able to assign an issue only when they are selected in that custom field

3 - In your global permissions, keep the programmers out of the Browse users permission, so they will only be able to assign the issues to themselves.

4 - When the issue is transitioned to the mentioned status, instruct the user that is transitioning the issue to properly update that custom field with the programmer user, or use the workflow post function Update issue custom field to do it

Let us know if you have any questions about the steps provided.

Suggest an answer