Time-Tracking: Min worklog time

jesusem February 18, 2019

Hi,

We need every worklog in Jira to be bigger or equal than 30 min. Is there any way to do that in Jira?

I was searching for an answer and I think noone asked this before.

Many thanks.

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deniz Oğuz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2019

You can use worklog verification script of WorklogPRO add-on. Script itself is very simple:

if (worklogResult.getWorklog().getTimeSpent() < 1800) { 
  return "Time spent can't be less than 30m";
}
jesusem February 19, 2019

Is this a tempo's fork?

It does some similar works.

Deniz Oğuz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2019

It is not Tempo. It is one of the 10+ timesheet add-ons in the marketplace. Tempo doesn't have worklog verification feature. 

jesusem February 20, 2019

It's ok. I see it's powerful. Thanks for the answer.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Hunter [HeroCoders]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 18, 2019

Hello @jesusem ,

Could you explain why you need this functionality? 

I wonder what is the rationale behind such a requirement.

We might consider building a plugin that solves that problem if it is justified.

Thanks,
Jack

Hi @Jack Hunter [HeroCoders], thanks for your answer.

We're having too many worklogs with 5 or 10 minutes and it does not worth spend time workloging such little time (this means you spend same time setting the worklog than doing the task).

I don't know if other people have the same need.

Thanks,

JEM

Jack Hunter [HeroCoders]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 19, 2019

@jesusem thank you for an explanation.

Just to have a final clarification: you would like to skip/block the work logs shorter than 30 minutes, right? 

@Jack Hunter [HeroCoders] 

Yes, that is exactly what I need.

Jack Hunter [HeroCoders]
Marketplace Partner
February 19, 2019

OK, so we have one possible way of implementing your requirement, i.e. "blocking log works shorter than 30m".

I wonder if another solution could work too.

You mentioned that the problem is mostly with people spending time on logging the work. What if the time was logged automatically? 

We have an app Clockwork Automated Timesheet (it is for Cloud but we are considering a server version) that helps to automate time tracking and therefore improve the precision of logged work. 

Basically, it allows to work time in two additional ways:

• Manually through Start/Stop timer button 
  • Automatically by moving Jira issue between statuses, e.g. Open -> In Progress (timer starts) -> Closed (timer stops and time is logged).

It requires all the work to be done around Jira issues so there still might be a problem with splitting the work into too granular/small issues. 

Let me know if automated time tracking could work in your case or if you prefer the "blocking log works shorter than 30m" solution.

Thanks,
Jack

We're already using a solution to automate time tracking but people doesn't feel comfortable with it (Tempo planner has a time tracker).

Also, we don't want to split the work into small issues. Many tasks are long-term tasks that are always in the same status (which means manual timer button as we have now).

I think right now, the best solution is to raise awareness about how to log hours.

Thanks,

JEM.

0 votes
Christos Moysiadis
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2019

Hi @jesusem ,

I am not sure if this could be done by the plugin itself. As i know there is no configuration like this.

Is it even make sense to be a default value than the null ?? Thats the point of logging your work, I mean to be exact in what you are doing !!

best regards

CM

Hi @Christos Moysiadis, Thanks for your answer.

I couldn't find a configuration to do this so I assumed it does not exist. 

We're not looking for a default value, we just need a minimum value people can log. We're having too many worklogs with 5 or 10 minutes and it does not worth spend time workloging such little time (this means you spend same time setting the worklog than doing the task).

This feature would force people and managers to group tasks and have less worklogs per day.

Regards,

JEM

Like Bertrand Schmitt likes this
Abdurashid Vakhobov June 18, 2019

Hi @jesusem ,

There is an app in marketplace, "Worklog Simple Report". In this report, if you set JQL to "timespent >= 30", it will output all tickets with more than 30 mins.

I hope I answered your question. 

Regards,

Rashid 

Suggest an answer