Service Desk Related Links Not Showing in Core

Leo March 19, 2018

Hi Atlassian community,

We operate both Jira "core" to track features, bugs, etc., and Jira Service Desk to field and track customer issues. When a customer issue comes in, first a Service Desk issue is created and investigated; if it turns out to be a bug, a ticket is opened in the regular Jira space.

The two distinct ticket types get linked using Jira's issue-linking feature, and show up in the "Issue Links" area, as described here: 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver073/linking-issues-861257339.html

The problem arises when you get into Jira core. From Jira core, you can see the Service Desk ticket in the "Issue Links" area, but only if you have a Service Desk license. If you don't have a Service Desk license, you don't see the related Service Desk ticket.

They used to be visible, but something changed in our Jira configuration, and I would like to know what, so I can change it back again. They used to show up as a "Relates to" item. Issue links to other Jira core items show up as "Is related to" items, if that helps in the diagnosis.

Can someone tell me how to make the links to the Service Desk items once again visible in the "Issue Links" area of Jira core?

1 answer

1 vote
Amirul Ikhwan Omar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2018

Hi Leo, you would need to make sure that the users have access to the service desk project. For the user to be able to view link issue from service desk project, you will need to check if the user has access to Service Desk Team to be able to view link issue in JIRA. You can check this settings in Service Desk Project settings > User and roles > Service Desk Team.

Leo March 26, 2018

Hi Amirul, thanks for  your answer.

Your instructions to add user to Service Desk Team worked like a charm. This renders the link to the Service Desk issue visible in the Issue Links area of Jira Core. I can report that even users (like myself) without a Service Desk license can be added to the Service Desk Team area (via Service Desk Project settings > User and roles > Service Desk Team).

It appears our system was recently updated; perhaps that caused the change that I noticed.

Leo March 27, 2018

Thanks Amirul, your instructions to add the user to the Service Desk Team worked like a charm. The Service Desk links are now visible in the Issue Links area of Jira Core. I can report that adding a user to the Service Desk Team works even when the user (like myself) does not have a Service Desk license.

Shawn L November 8, 2019

For those who are finding this and find the original content unclear:

Steps:

Search for a user -> elipses -> View Project Roles -> Edit Project Roles -> Check "Service Desk Team" for the service desk project space the user should see the links.

Confirmed this will show the linkages and does not cost a service desk license.

Suggest an answer